i got my son a night light to see if that would help him go to sleep by his self b ut...

it dont seem to work he use to be so good in going to be by his self like a big boy hes 2o months old he just started fighting it and when we put him in his bed he like holds on to us for dear life and wont let go and then once we leave the room he screams like hes getting beaten or something, how do we get him to go back to bed like he use too.

mommyoftwo0809

Asked by mommyoftwo0809 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you will probably just have to let him cry it out. can he communicate why he is scared? would he stay if you just left his door open a crack? try playing music quietly in his room. maybe he isn't tired yet... does he stay active during the day... and are you trying to put him to bed too early?

and by the way.... its himself... not his self... grammar police right here.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I think the nightlight is a good idea. Try to really set a nice relaxing tone. About an hour before bed try to reduce the light in the house wherever he is. I don't mean turn the lights off all the way, but turn some of them out and maybe dim anything that is on a dimmer switch. Give him a bath, sing some sweet songs, put some soothing lotion on his skin. Then put on the nightlight, put on a soft lullaby CD and hold him for a moment. Then say "Okay, night night. Mommy loves you" and put him into bed.

Do anything you can think of to create a sleepy sanctuary. I got this cute night light from Amazon.com that is a stuffed turtle. His shell projects soft blue or green stars on the ceiling. The blue light is really soothing.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• OMG to the grammar policeIts just Cafemom and most of us..including you...don't type in perfect grammer on here.

But anyway...I would try playing soft music like classical or baby lullibies. My daughter listens to the same lullaby music every night and as soon as she hears it she knows its time to sleep. I love it!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Is he officially in a big boy bed? Before bed, I'd climb into bed with him with a dim light, read books there, give him his favorite stuffed toy or security blanket, etc etc. Let's see...We dance my son back to his room singing that, "Goodnight sweetheart, it's time to go...I hate to leave you but I really must say Goodnight sweetheart goodnight" song. We are big on stuffies here...his monkey blanket, two doggies, a hippo, etc etc lol. What's the temp like in his room? Our son's room seems to be the coolest, so we put a heater, "Hot hot" in his room - with automatic shut off and all the security settings. We say goodnight to everything- hot hot, the moon, the curtain, the stuffies, the door, lol. It's an exhausting process, but it works (knock on wood.) Maybe "naming" the nightlight would help, or giving him a new stuffy to keep him company, etc. Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2010