How do i know when to call the dr on stomach pain complaints from my 6yr old?

My 6yr old says every single day that her stomach hurts. She showed me the pain is right in the middle where her stomach is. She doesn't cry, she just seems to say it everyday and she acts like it never goes away. She does have constipation a lot, but i don't know if that's the problem. I don't know if i should call the doctor because I don't know if it is a big deal or not. what do I do?

lacielgin30

Asked by lacielgin30 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• well i wouldnt call now, but it wouldnt hurt to call tomorrow and see if they think you should bring her in. do you give her a lot of attention when she complains about it? have you asked what kind of pain it is? also, if she doesnt cry and it seems constant, is she able to do other things? sleep? if it wakes her from sleep, it is probably hurting her quite a bit. and it could be constipation, but i assume you give her something for that if she has trouble with it regularly.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• depends how long it has been going on - could be nothing - could be constipation - could be strep throat, sometimes the ONLY symptom is a stomache ache
    I would go to the doc just in case
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My five year old complained of her stomach aching daily and I honestly did not know if she was just nervous because she had just started school or what. I took her to the doctor twice and on the second time they did a chest x-ray and found she had pneumonia! He said that stomach pain is a very common symptom in children. I felt terrible that I put off being seen for so long but there were no other symptoms. No fever, she slept and played normally, ate, drank....everything except her saying her stomach hurt. Take her in and have her checked. Better safe than sorry!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Sometimes it's what they eat. Feed her more fiber and don't give her things like apples or bananas. There was a pediatrician on tv the other days saying they clog up the bowels on children. Talk to her doctor or call a pediatric nutritionist.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2010