Does anyone have a hubby with ADHD?

I just helped mine take an online test through a health website and he hit 96! We do not really have the money to take him to a doctor but we are going to try. What are some of the challenges you face and how do you help him?
I would really appreciate any advice I could get!

Moonwhispers

Asked by Moonwhispers at 10:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• My husband has ADD. He was diagnosed at the age of 12 by a psychologist. He has learned how to overcome certain things but occasionally, I will tell him his ADD is showing, lol. Honestly, though, if it is not affecting his work or home life, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. However, if he is not able to keep a job because of his performance then it might be worth going to the doctor for. As far as the challenges, I have to have our home very neat and organized. If something is out of place then it bothers him from being able to relax. There are many times that I have to get out of bed to completely shut a drawer so that he can read without being distracted. He does not have the hyper part though, so I don't know what to tell you on that. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My DH is very into video games to the point that druggies are into drugs lol. He has a lot of trouble remembering things, has anxiety problems, not really anti-social but has social anxieties, has a short temper, gets very overwhelmed, is disorganized, can't figure out where to start on a project so just won't do it. There is a lot. He's not hyper, he's the opposite, he does not really want to do anything mostly and then he'll get ideas and is really impulsive. He has never worked because he doesn't understand things very well and he has an extraordinarily hard time following directions.
    Moonwhispers

Answer by Moonwhispers at 10:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• LOL, you just described my husband except for the not working part. (I credit the Army for helping him a lot in this area) I would strongly suggest him going to see the doctor. Call before hand and see if they can work out a payment arrangement if you need too.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:13 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• thank you so much I will do that :)
    Moonwhispers

Answer by Moonwhispers at 1:04 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Thom Hartmann has written extensively on adult ADD/ADHD topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2010