What is a "Photocopy" of your marriage license? ( I made a copy on the copy machine and SS sent it back saying they wanted a photocopy)

Can someone please tell me I obviously thought I knew but I guess I don't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Did it say anything about it being notarized? They may want a photocopy from the courthouse that has a raised seal.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• they want a certified copy.

you go to the courthouse and get them to make a copy, they stamp it with their little embossed stamp so the SS knows it's not a fake. You'll have to pay a few dollars for it
    Anonymous

• yup, they want one from the courthouse or take your original to the SS office. I just did that. They made their own copy

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• What you sent IS a photocopy. If they told you that they wanted a photocopy, then they misspoke or the person that answered your question isn't too bright.

The pp's are right, what they need is a certified copy, or you have to take in the original and they have to make a copy themselves.

The reason is because with the technology out there these days, it's quite easy to forge documents, especially if you're submitting a photocopy of it. (It could be a scanned copy of a license that belongs to someone else, that was then edited and printed, then the print photocopied, etc..) This way, they know it's really yours.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2010