What is your opinion of women who refuse any and all prenatal care?

I'm not talking about the "I didn't know I was pregnant!" people, I'm talking about the people who get pregnant on purpose and decide that they know more than a doctor!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Whatever happens is on them. Hey, at least you can't blame a nurse or a doctor if something goes wrong, only themselves.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• My opinion is that they are not educated or don't care about the safety and well being of the child.
    Anonymous

• Are they informed? Are they providing their own prenatal care? This CAN be done safely, and doctors don't know everything. A woman knows her own body WAY better than any doctor ever will. I think that women just need to be informed and make their own decisions. I do think that most women can't provide adequate prenatal and intrapartum care for themselves and need an attendant, BUT there are a good number of women who are very capable (and those are usually the ones doing it)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• that they are NOT putting thier baby before thier own beliefs and thinking. very selfish honestly. and someone who wants to be a mom should be setting aside beliefs and ideas sometimes that are potentially harmful to the baby. i dont mean women who get midwives here, but women who get NO care at all
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• that they are ignorant....
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Sati, it could be that in their experience and beliefs the doctors create more risks than does UP or UCing. Which is certainly true in some cases.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• That they should not become a Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• usually they are the very ones that have a control issue which means they have a better idea and they know everything.How is it bad to give your baby vitamins while he or she is in the womb? ,will they die? no,people back in the days didnt die and they never took them,but we are in better days where things are improved.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• I believe it's none of anyone's business.

I was going through a miscarriage with my first child at 20 weeks, I visited the L&D a few times just to be turned down, my water broke they said I was just having a urine infection and had me taking pills few hours later I had my son held him in my palm as he died.

With my second baby cuz of my miscarriage they had me giving myself shots to thin out my blood, I didn't want to do it but she said if I don't I will lose my baby, I went to go see a specialist and he said I have to stop them immediately cuz if I fall, hurt myself, run into something etc. etc. I can end up bleeding internally and the shots are not to be used on prego women, so now I listen to what my Dr. says and do what I think is best for me and my children.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• well, it depends on why. OBs don't know everything, they are trained surgents actually. With my first child I got PUPP (pregnancy rash) and my doctor had no clue what to do, he gave me anti-itch cream, which just treats the symptoms. I went to my birthing instructer and she told me what it was and how to treat it and it went away within weeks. I think that there are a lot of mommies who are proactive with their health and wellbeing, as well as their chidlren's who choose t do their own health care, which is fine. I think each person needs to know what they are doing and why and choose for themselves. If you decide a doctor, herbalist, homeopathic dr, ob, midwife etc.....is best thats your decision.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 28, 2010