Night Time Potty Training

DD turned 4 on February 2nd and is fully daytime potty trained, but most definitely not night time. She wears a Pull-Up at night and every morning she wakes up with pee in it. I've been told there's no point in even attempting night time training until they at least occasionally wake up dry...this has NEVER happened with DD. I don't withhold liquids, but I monitor and make sure she doesn't drink more than 1/2 cup of water between dinner (5-6pm) and bedtime (9pm).

I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I continue just waiting for a dry morning before attempting night time training or do I start now before the morning dryness since she is already 4?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am pretty convinced that just waiting until they start either waking up on their own or staying dry is the way to go. Here is why: my first daughter day trained early (19 months) and we waited for both naps and night because she was still soaked. When we got to the one year mark of her daytime training, we started thinking, is this ever going to happen? I had read about some people waking their children to pee (until they get used to waking on their own), so we tried this for awhile, but we didn't see any results, just a lot of messes. We let that go after a little while. A couple of months later (now) she is occasionally waking up to pee. She has yet to have a fully dry night, but the nights she does wake up and go, there's much less pee. I think she'll get there on her own. Here's the crazy thing: her sister, 17 months, just started day training and is already often waking up dry in the morning, They're so different!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2010