Are you just against unassisted home births or home births all together? If your against them both...WHY?

CNMs (certified nurse midwives) can deliver in hospitals, birthing centers and in homes. They are highly trained in the pregnancy, labor, delivery, postpartum care, & new born care. When they deliver in a home they bring oxygen, medications that can stop a bleed out in the event of an emergency, & sterile tools just like they use in the hospitals. Stastically women who have midwives have better outcomes. They have less complicated births and healthier babies. In other developed countries the have better infant mortality rates than the US midwives deliver about 70% of the babies & 30% of those are delivered at home. It is considered just as safe for a first time mom & safer for a mom in a subsaquent pregnancy to deliver at home. Midwives are skilled & trained to handle emergencies in the event that they do arise. My midwife has been delivering for 11 years and only had 1 "emergency" that was handled in home.

So WHY?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• "unassisted home births" Has nothing to do with your midwife rant.
    Unassisted period is stupidity IMHO. What if something went horribly wrong and NOONE was there to help you?
    I don't agree with midwives, that is just my personal opinion. I'd rather be with people who can do something if something serious happens.
    IE your at home you go in to labor but then something happens you need a csection to save the baby. Well I really doubt miss midwife would pull an OR out of her little medicine bag.
    I don't care what others do but I will NOT risk something like that. Just because YOUR midwife has had such a great rate of success does not mean that it is 100% safe.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I am only against the unassisted home births!

Sorry but I prefer to be safe than sorry. If something were to go wrong, I don't see what's wrong with calling in the midwife who's been chilling out on the sofa. They WILL do that!

I think if a mother has an unassisted birth where no trained person were present and the baby dies, she should be charged with murder because she should have known better!

yes, back in the old days, there weren't hospitals and such and births were at home, but just look at how many died during the process! the baby or the mother or both!

we have trained medical people for a reason!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• and BTW I had a midwife, wouldn't have it any other way after having her! she was FABULOUS! went with her after deciding that midwifes ONLY deal with pregnancy, OBGYNs also deal with everything else involved with the uterus. Midwife IMO is a pregnancy specialist
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I think if a mother has an unassisted birth where no trained person were present and the baby dies, she should be charged with murder because she should have known better!

My husband said the same thing the other day. We were watching twins by surprise and this lady did unassisted and didn't know it was twins they BOTH came out feet first.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Breech delivery doesn't have to be an emergency PP as long as the people there know what they are doing. Midwives are ALWAYS trained in breech birth. They have to be as a rule from the Midwifery Board. It may suprise you to know that MANY DOCTORS are NOT trained in breech birth.

Midwives are pregnancy specialist. They have better outcomes than doctors do and I would trust a midwife home delivery over an OBGYN hospital birth anyday.

AND PP...I have a question...You said you "don't agree with midwives." So are you against using them in the hospital too even though in the event that you are one of the less than 12% of women who actually NEED a c-section you could still get it just as fast since midwives work with doctors???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I don't feel "against" anything other than ignorance.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Umm anon she was SOLO in her house with her husband NO MIDWIFE
    Yes I am against midwives period. Why do I have to justify to you why?
    Just like I am against university hositals and new doctors.
    I have had bad experiances. My reasonings don;t really concern you. You asked a question I answered.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• yeah... I'm not a fan of teaching hospitals either... sorry, I like my medical staff fully trained!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Being against midwives is just silly when their patients have better outcomes than doctors. Sounds like a lack of research to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• The only reason I am against home births is that my baby and I would both be dead. :( But, I still really am not against them.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2010