Does your toddler ever slow down? (ADHD type stuff?)

I know that it's WAYYY too early to think about this stuff, but I honestly don't ever see my son sit down for more than a minute, and even then he's still doing SOMEthing. I feel like all I do all day is run and run and run with him, or fall over in exhaustion and watch him run, rather. Just wondering if moms with kids with ADHD felt this way, or if all moms of toddlers felt this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I really don't like labeling these kids. They all act the same to me. None of them sit down if you ask me. My 4yr old is like the energizer bunny, yet I realize that when she is the most hyper she is sleepy and if made to go to sleep she will fall right out. Also monitor her diet, not too much sugar, snacks and processed foods. Hope it helps.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 1:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yeah, see i hate labeling too...his daddy was diagnosed with ADHD, so I guess I've just looked for it because I know it's apparently hereditary or whatever...I honestly think that all toddlers act this way, but then my mother and other people say "my child never ran around like this. He won't just sit and watch tv?" Thank god he doesn't care about the TV, right:? Lol. you know how all those little voices- moms, aunts, inlaws- can be...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Chances are, the TV contributed to the ADHD...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My first was VERY much like this. He has ALWAYS been high energy. I'm talking since before birth (when I had an ultrasound done during that pregnancy he was moving both arms, both legs, and his jaw) Even now at almost 7 years old he is always moving. I can tell you though that he is NOT ADHD. And yes, I know this for sure. I say, enjoy this part of your son and be glad that he is a mover rather than a couch potato. (=
    Krys.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My oldest, who is now 17, was like this. He is also extremely ADHD. (Before anyone bashes, YES, there was a LOT of research and evaluations done, by more than one Dr, and there was a very extensive treatment plan that was put in place, one that was very closely monitored.) He was on meds, in minimal amounts, so that we were able to basically "break the cycle" of his inability to behave in age appropriate ways so that we could teach him behavior modification techniques. There was also some diet modification, because he had certain "trigger foods" that made it worse. Luckily we were able to address it early enough that a lot of the side problems that come from ADHD didn't come up. He hasn't been on meds for yrs, is VERY active in a LOT of things, and is able to control it / channel it.

BUT - that being said, YES - 99% of being the mom of a toddler is feeling that they never slow down or stop - ADHD or not :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2010