child support and the law, how to get the most for your child?

I am planning on filing for child support for my child when he is born. The father lives over sea's and say's he wants nothning to do the child. I was just wondering would it benefit me to hire a lawyer to file my child support case or is it the same as going down to the local child support agency. What are the benefits if anything for having an attorney file for you, and Is their anything i should be made aware of or include in the proceccedings? Thank you ANY suggestions would be greatly apperciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would get an attorney. There is a "formula" they use to figure out amounts (you can google the child support calculator for your state), but they judges can deviate from that greatly if they see a need to - a private attorney will fight for that for you, the state child support bureau won't.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• over seas as in military deployed? or overseas as in just lives in another country?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I don't think US child support laws apply to people NOT in the USA or at least on US property such as a military base...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• All anyone can tell you is call a lawyer. The only amount you can get will depend on what he makes. You don't pick and choose.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• ********* yes he is in the USAF military, stationed overseas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• it only depends on how much he makes..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You still need a lawyer and most likely a DNA test. All he has to say is he isn't the father.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yes, you can get child support from him but you do need a lawyer. I would recommend that you contact legal aid or look up women's legal services in your area. They can help you with filing a motion for paternity and child support.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It not only depends on what he makes, but what you make. If you make more than him, don't expect to get much. It varies by state...but they take 17% of income here in LA.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 5:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2010