Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my hubby and i are seperated and in two different states. if my son and i move back in with him and he files for divorce would i HAVE to stay in that state with him?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • That will depend on what the custody papers say. If it says that the child can't leave said state then ya you would have to stay in that state. Why move there there if he is just going to file for divorce?

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • I have done this with my kids, I was not married but I had kids with my ex boyfriend. We all lived in Michigan and their was nothing their for me. I went to the court house and got my ex to sign a form that states I can move out of state with the kids. I moved to Florida. I then a few years later moved back to Michigan only for a few months and my ex said he wouldn't let me move out of state again. I went back to the courts and they said since I already had that form signed no matter how old it was it is still in effect. I hope this helps and if you do decide to move back up their tell him that is one of your requirements if things fail between you two that he will sign that form so you can move back to where you were. Make that one of your requirements on the divorce papers too. I really hope everything works out for you both. Good Luck

    Answer by nellie_and_crew at 2:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

  • It would depend on the custody agreement. Also, even if you were allowed to move out of state again, you probably wouldn't want to do it until after the divorce was final anyway, simply b/c you'd be coming back constantly for hearings and stuff, and it would get really expensive really quickly. I agree with nellie on talking to him before you go back and trying to make that a condition of coming back, that if you do he must sign a document giving you permission to take your son out of state should things not work out between the two of you. Even if the document turned out to be not legal in your state, it might give you something you can show a judge to get them to find in your favor on moving out of state.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 6:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
"rough" sex music