What do I need to know about labor?

I dont have a mother. I dont have friends. I have no one to ask all those 100s of questions to. I dont know what I need to know. So please Tell me all the little things I would need to know how do I know I am in actual labor? mucus plug? after birth? everything I keep hearing these things and want to ask questions but feel so dumb for not knowing. Anything will help.

Pooky0815

Asked by Pooky0815 at 6:04 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't have a mom either so I can totally relate. My best advice to you would be to take a lamaze (sp?) It was very helpful. I would also either purchase or go the the library and get the book called What to expect when your expecting. That book answers almost every question you can think of. Good luck momma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• *oops lamaze class* sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Pooky...
    I do have the book. its kinda like crunch time to do any classes. i was going to but. I was informed it would be a waste of money... and a tour of the hospital might be better served
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Sry the pooky was not suppose to be in there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• what they never tell you, is that when you are near the end and you think you feel like you need to take a huge DUMP, its the babies head coming down the canal. i was pretty embarrassed not knowing that LOL
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• no u really should take the class its really helpful
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• do you have insurance? even state insurance? if so ask if the hospital you plan on giving birth at has any classes IE like the lamaz already suggested. our hospital did here.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I think birth classes are never a waste of money if you find the right one. Especially if you feel like you don't have anyone to ask questions to. I have heard a lot of people say they didn't like Lamaze, but if you can find just a Birth information class that's what I would go for.

Here is what my mother told me that I thought was the best thing anyone told me:

Be prepared for anything. You may plan on natural childbirth and end up with a c-section, you may plan on getting the epi but it doesn't take or things progress too quickly. You just don't know how it's going to go. You are better off knowing all of the side effects, risks, and benefits to all mediciations and the different options, as well prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for the pain associated with natural childbirth and the natural pain relief methods. Even if you plan it one way, it could go a different way.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:50 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• read read read. go to the library and borrow books , especially anything with real experiences. Most libraries also have the latest copies of Mother and Baby magazine or similar, read the birth stories. Do you have a partner? Do you go to church... is there a Mom there who you could talk to. Child birth is different for every woman, and there will be bits that are embarrassing and gross, other bits that will amaze you, some that you will be glad to forget and some that will take your breath away. You might or might not have a show, have your waters break, go into labour naturally, deliver on all fours, feel labour pains or have a strong back ache that won't quit .... there are so many variations. I can tell you that at the end you won't care, you will be so totally awestruck by the little person in your arms, that how he or she got here is irrelevant. And you will know if it is labour, because the baby comes out LOL
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I agree with beck and myheart. Be prepared for anything to happen and read, read, read. I liked the Mayo Clinic's Guide to Pregnancy book, but some find it too clinical. I didn't, I thought it spelled reality out pretty well, which is what I wanted. Find which is right for you. I found the Prepared Childbirth class immensely helpful.
    They are telling you the truth when they say "You will know it when you see it" regarding the mucus plug. You simply can't mistake it for anything else. lol I wanted to try natural, but reserve the right for medication if I needed it. Finally, after 12+ hours of labor I decided I needed something for pain and they said "Oh no, it's too late for anything now." I said "WHAT??" Apparently, my reserving that right wasn't communicated to the nurses. Again, be prepared for anything. It rarely goes exactly the way you want. Oh, and get ready to fall in love in a way that you never knew was possible!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2010