do you think that facebook friends are real friends??

or do you think its just something convenient for people, who don't want to do any real facetime with you??

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• nah i don't think that. its convenient for long distance friends and for friends who moved away or travel alot. and for moms or workaholics or other busy people who just can't make the time to go out with friends. that way at least u stay somewhat connected. If I had someone who could cook and watch the kids for me every time i feel like going out i'd never stay home, but i'm realistic and facebook helps me at least stay in touch with my ppl.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i have some real life friends on there and some online only friends. it works
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I think its convenient for people who are BUSY and want to stay in contact and know what is going on in the other persons life. I LOVE IT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It depends on how you use the site. I only friiend people I know in life outside the internet. Mostly people from high school and college or previous duty stations. Family that is far away . People I've lost touch with over the years. I have less than 50 friends. I know people who have 5000+ friends, they use the site for gaming. I don't have time for gaming and I Have no desire to allow people I don't know access to family photos and information..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• ^^^^ should read 500, not 5000 friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• For me, they are my real friends. It's a good way to keep up with my friends who have moved all over. I have friends who are living in other countries. I can't get "face time" with them more than once every year or 2 depending on our travel schedules. But these are people I used to live in the same house with!

I have a few facebook friends who are colleagues and it's a good way to quickly swap info for shared professional opportunities.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who just want to feel faux special because they have 2500 friends on facebook. Those people are weird. I don't friend them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I have real friends on Facebook (people I know in real life) but we don't live near each other. It's great for keeping in contact with them. My brother lives 2000 miles away and until he got on Facebook I talked to him once a year because he's busy and I've only seen him 3 times in the 11 years he's lived there (last time was in 2006). Now I can see what he's up to all the time.
    Most of the other people on my friends list are actual friends of mine, friends I had in high school that I don't get to see and family members that live in other states who I don't get to see. A few are people I met there but I don't actually converse with them (just my family/friends).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• For me it is a way of staying in touch with family and friends that I have moved away from. I'm originally from IL and moved to TN. It's nice to be able to keep in contact more than just a phone call because we can post pictures and share them easier. The only friends I have on face book are people that I personally know.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Every person that I have as a friend on facebook falls into one of the following categories -

1) family that I interact with on a regular basis (my dh, both of my kids, my siblings, my sister and brother in law, my mother and father in law, etc.)
    2) family that I don't get to interact with as much, mainly due to physical distance from each other (some cousins, etc)
    3) real world friends - both that are local and those that are stationed in / live in other parts of the world
    4) a few people that I knew in high school that I've reconnected with through an alumni site for my school (they're planning my 20th reunion for this summer...), or a couple of people that I was friends with at a previous duty station that I am now fortunate enough to have re-connected with

I don't buy into the whole "I have to friend this person because someone I know knows someone who know them" or "but I need to meet a certain number... thing
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• For me, they are. I've known all but a handful of them most of my life, in real life. That has to count as real.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2010