Would you report a parent for a constant messy house?

Even if it's a friend. I live on a military base and I have seen VERY unsanitary dirty houses. I mean, I know people have there down days. But EVERYTIME I go to my friends house, it looks worse then the previous day. I mean spilt drinks that don't get cleaned for weeks and rotting food, and crap everywhere. My son found 3 old cheese sticks in 5 minutes over there. And its the same everytime. Is this enough to get them some counseling help maybe? They have a 17 month old daughter that is still crawling, and she is crawling and eating her meals off of very dirty, uncleaned trays. She feeds her in walkers, but NEVER cleans them. It is just Gross over there.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if its military, is there military support for the wives of some sort? maybeit would be best to go that route first.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Do you think the parent is lazy or depressed? That would depend on how I would handle the situation. Is there a support group at the base? If this is a young mom does the military offer training for young moms?
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• OP****She is just LAZY. She plays games ALL day and shops online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• If the place was filthy yes but messy no.
    I mean everybody is brought up in different situations and has their own idea of what is acceptable as far as being clean or tidy. I think calling CPS is a bit overkill. I,personally think that it's grose to leave old cheeze sticks all over the place but I do't believe it's a crime. I hate a mess,I hate a dirty house so your frien's house is probably not place I would want to hang out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Maybe she is overwhelmed. Offer to help her get it cleaned up and see how she keeps it afterward.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• *OP* Trust me I have tried helping her clean it, and she just plays video games, or takes pictures of herself while I do it. NO, she is not overwhelmed. I don't want to call CPS, but Do you think maybe counseling? It's not just messy, it UNSANITARY. Disgusting...and dangerous. It doesn't matter what she leaves out around her toddler. Nail polish remover, soda cans, trash, crusted food in the carpet, unvacuumed, unmopped, just unclean EVERTHING. You name it....I could go on and on and on...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yeah! Report her! She NEEDS to be scared into being tidy! I mean, I understand some toys laying around here and there-but the floor should be kept up, garbage kept up, dishes kept up, and laundry at least sorted near the washing machine and dryer awaiting being cleaned!!! Slack is one step away from hoarding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• If the conditions are unsanitary you could call someone. Messy is one thing, but unsanitary is another. Unsanitary conditions can lead to infestation of rodents, insects, mold etc and that makes the problem much worse. But, I'd be concerned about the 17 month old who is living in that environment.

I guess it would depend on the conditions of the house. If you feel that the child's health could be compromised I guess you have to tell someone. While what you describe sounds bad, you haven't yet refused to take your own child over there so that makes me wonder a bit. If it's really that bad I wouldn't be taking my own child there.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 8:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• First off, that is just disgusting. I thought my house was messy until I read this post (my dd loves to bring all her toys around the house and papers, etc.) If there is nasty food laying around thats not healthy for the baby. Especially if she is eating off dirty trays. If you two live on a military base, does that mean her husband is there too? If so they should both be held accountable for this, not just the mother. And despite if you like it or not you should probably call cps. What if something happened to that little child that if you stepped in could have been prevented?! Weigh the pros and cons, your friendship or a inoccent baby!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Have her watch an episode of how clean is your house. That will make her want to clean. No I wouldn't call anyone. If the baby is not abused it's none of your business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2010