Did your pets behavior change right before you gave birth? PLEASE HELP!

I have a 13 year old cat whom I've had since he was 6 weeks old. For the past six weeks he's been crying non-stop starting around 5 a.m. til we get up in the morning. He NEVER has done this before. At first I thought it was spring fever, but he hasn't stopped. My sister thinks he's noticed my hormone changes and is reacting to that. Any ideas? I think my boyfriend is going drive him out to the country if I don't figure something out (just kidding but it's bad).

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well I didn't get my puppy til after my son was born, but he probably does notice you hormone change but mostly it's probably a little jealousy, the cat was the one and only before baby and now he/she seems left out. it's trying to get your attention. maybe show more attention to the cat, I know it will get better once the baby is older, and the cat can be around the little one.

Answer by workenmom at 2:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Wow! If dogs can smell cancer, I am sure they can detect hormones in the air! There is a pet psychologist, @ and he has a radio show also. I know he would love that question!

Answer by manna1qd at 2:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• the cats know its getting close to baby time and they change their behavior in any number of ways - my girl cat sat next to me for 3 weeks and just watched me - every time i would change positions she would stand up and meow at me as if asking "is it time?"

Answer by vakatia at 3:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• oh also - after baby's arrival you wont see much of your cat for a few weeks - the crying and the new smells and the fact that the cat is one of the many animals who will reject their own babies if it smells of any other creature than itsself - it will remove itsself from your radar until it feels necessary.

Answer by vakatia at 4:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My dog snowie we have had her since she was ten weeks, well we I was in my last 5 months of pregnancy she changed completely. She wouldnt leave my side for anything. She would lay her head on my tummy and lick it. No one was aloud to get near me that she didnt know without her barking or growling. She had never barked at anyone before and she had NEVER growled before. No one could come up to the door without her barking and howling. I think it was just to let me know hey someone is here be careful. Just to give me a heads up. Now that we have our son, anyone that holds him she goes and sits in front of their feet :) shes like his graduadian angel. She also sleeps underneath his crib and is licking me in the face if I dont get up fast enough for the baby. lol. Your cat is just telling you hey guess what youre having a baby! shes just trying to protect you and your little one(s). She might be telling you also the time is comming. Good luck and congrats

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• sorry 5 weeks***

• my 4yo dog changed about a week before i went into labor. he was all over me and under my feet. he stood outside the shower door while i showered! if i walked out of his sight, he would start howling wanting me back. it was crazy. but then, sadly, since we brought my son home 7 months dog has been hiding out. he pulled his bed into the closet and stays in there unless he is hungry or wants out. its sad

Answer by trentntats at 12:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2008