Possible induction?

I'm 39 weeks, and I specifically chose my midwife, because she is a long time friend of the family, and someone I really trust to deliver my baby. I am due on the 9th, and my midwife has a very understandable reason that she has to leave town on the 5th. I talked to her for a long time last night, and she said that she can either induce me tomorrow night, and I would have him on the 3rd, or she can have a friend of hers, who I have only met once deliver the baby if I go into labor while she is out of town for a week. My husband and I are doing a lot of thinking today, because I have always been against unnecessary inductions, but at the same time, she is really the only one I trust to deliver my baby. Again, on that note, if she trusts her friend to deliver him, I should too. What would you do?

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 9:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Can't make that answer for ya hun. You have to go with what you want. Your baby will be fine either way. I had a complete stranger deliver my daughter. But for a first time baby I understand why you want your midwife. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would not induce! The baby will come out when it's ready and personally I think it's selfish to induce just because its more convienient for you. Let that baby be!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I agree with anonymous...leave your baby alone. Why put uneccesary stree on him/her just because you want your midwife. Safest thing to do is let your baby come out when its ready..who know? U may pass you due date and your midwife may end up inducing when she gets back. Just wait hun! But then again, your baby, your body, your choice! Good luck! :-) congrats!
    ofcourseithurts

Answer by ofcourseithurts at 9:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I think i'll be pretty scared either way, but i'm a pretty natural person, so the thought of an induction for a non-medical reson, is really out of my realm. Just thought I would get other people's input. If my midwife trusts her friend, I trust her too. =)
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 9:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• trust yourself and your body =) you will do great. if it were me, i would definitely not get induced.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Sorry for my many spelling errors! Lol and that's great to hear!
    ofcourseithurts

Answer by ofcourseithurts at 9:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• oh i also think that it's a very good chance that you will still be pregnant when she gets back :) but if not, then i'm sure you will be happy to have your baby before then :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would insist on having a sit down with the other MW and seeing if I really feel comfortable with them. I would NOT do the induction unless there were some terribly horrible feeling that I got from the second MW especially since it is likely that you will not deliver while your MW is away. The average delivery date is about 41 weeks for first time moms if they are left alone to deliver when the baby is ready.
    Anonymous