What can I expect from my first OB appointment?

I will be a little over seven weeks pregnant at the time of my first OB appt. What should I expect? They gave me no information on the phone. I'm sure my pregnancy will be verified via a blood test, but what else will the OB do? I'm kind of nervous if you can't tell.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Probably a urine sample first thing. Then they will check your weight and blood pressure, then probably do a cervical exam (which is pretty quick and only slightly uncomfortable). They may do some blood work to check your iron and stuff. They might also feel where your uterus is from the outside by feeling your abdomen. Before you leave you will get a prescription for prenatal vitamins. Don't be nervous, this is a very exciting time! Congratulations :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• A due date, prescription for prenatal vitamins. A question/answer session. My first appt. was with the nurse only, I didn't see the doc. If you do see the doc. for your first appt. You'll need to leave a urine sample, be weighed, get your blood pressure checked. Then they'll try to listen for baby's heartbeat. They may measure your stomach.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You will be weighed, and also have to provide a urine (to test for protein and sugar) and blood sample (what they test for depends on how far along you are), as well as a vaginal exam. Depending on how far along you believe you are, and if you have seen your primary doctor (who confirmed pregnany), the doctor may want to confirm pregnancy again. This is most commonly done with the urine speciem you provided (but isn't nessecary if your other doctor already did it). If you are further along....8 weeks or more, the doctor will determine you are pregant via the vaginal exam (he/she will physically touch the baby). Your vaginal exam will consist of a normal pap smear (although a but more uncomfotable because your pregnant) and a swab to test for STDs. More than likely they will send you home with a bag full of goodies as well.....some prenatal vitamin samples, formula and diaper samples, as well as some pregnancy magizines :)
    SamanthaCharlen

Answer by SamanthaCharlen at 9:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Thank you all again. I truly appreciate it. Have a fantastic week, ladies!

Take care!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• it varies A LOT. at my first appointment, i took a long list of questions about what my options would be in birth because i wanted to be sure to choose a provider and birth place that was natural-birth-friendly. my midwife asked me some questions. i didn't have any blood tests, urine tests, vaginal exams, or anything. i was weighed and had my blood pressure checked.

my 2nd appointment, i got a blood test, urine test, and i had a vaginal exam because i had an infection.

they will probably do a pap test if you haven't had one in the last 12 mos.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• oh i didn't get an rx for vitamins either, i just showed my midwife which vitamins i had been taking (rainbow light prenatals) and she said those were the same she took during her pregnancy. :)

imo the most important thing at the first appointment is to make sure that is the OB/midwife you want. that they are going to respect your wishes, whatever those may be :) like i wanted to make sure that i wouldn't be "required" to have an IV or continuous EFM during labor. that they wouldn't pressure me to be induced at any point unless there was a serious medical need.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2010