Looking for other Gymnastic Moms - with older kids in gymnastics and or competitive gymnasts.

My daughter has been invited to join the competitive tumbling team at her gym club.

We have 2 weeks to decide if she'll join the team or keep on with her recreational tumbling class.

I need some advice from other gymnastics moms PLEASE! this is a MASSIVE decision that will change the entire dynamic of the family.

Especially since after watching the Olympics the past 2 weeks she's dead set on going to the olympics.

hypermamaz

Asked by hypermamaz at 9:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm interested in seeing what answers you get, because we are in a similar situation. My 5 year old daughter has been invited to join the pre-team and I'm trying to decide if we should go down this road or just stick with recreational gymnastics. For now, I'm leaning against the competitive side. From what I see at our gym, by middle school most of these girls are training 20-30 hours a week. Most of them will never make it anywhere close to the Olympics, so I really can't understand what's so important about gymnastics that it's worth sacrificing so much of your childhood for. After all, there's plenty of other sports out there that can provide many of the same benefits but still allow enough free time to experience a more typical childhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• its a hard decision.

her training commitment will be 7 hours a week - 5-8 on tuesdays and 1-5 on sundays.

then additional family commitment - our gym club is a non for profit and run basically by fundraising and parents.

but...there have been olympians out of this club too. Kyle Shewfelt for one, was on the same team my dd was invited to join.

now to make the decision.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:04 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I don't have a child doing gymnastics, but I was a competitive gymnast for about 7 years. I started competing when I was 7 and at that time I was in the gym 4 days a week, 2 hrs each day. The gym was only a few miles from our house, so as far as I could tell, it worked into our schedule pretty easily. When I was 9 I outgrew that gym (they did AGA and we wanted to move up to USGF), so we switched gyms. Not too bad, one other girl I knew went there, but we had moved up from 4 days a week to 5 days a week for 2.5 hrs each day, and an optional practice on Saturdays (during competition season, this practice wasn't optional). I was still doing compulsories and hadn't even gotten close to optionals yet (when you get to choreograph your own routines). I didn't get to do any other extra-cirricular activities (they just couldn't afford it and I didn't have the time), and rarely was I allowed to go to birthday parties, (cont)
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• (cont.), between school, church, gymnastics and homework, I didn't have much time to do anything else. When I was 11 I outgrew yet another gym and we went searching for another in the closest large town that had more clubs. Eventually, we joined a gym that was a 45 minute drive from home, once again my workouts became longer, 5 days a week for 3.5 hrs/day and Saturdays for 4 hrs of cross-training/conditioning. And since the gym was so far from home, my mom had to sit at the gym every day while I worked out (after working full-time 5 days a week). We got home every evening by 9:15, just in time to eat dinner, finish up whatever homework I had, and get to bed by about 11. We did this until I was 14, it's amazing that I made it that far, and I'll never understand how my parents put up with it. So if you are ready for the total commitment being on a team will take, then go for, it's a great sport (cont.)
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• (cont.), and she'll probably enjoy it. But remember, being on a competitive team can be very time consuming when she starts to move up.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• thanks for the input.

this is exactly why I'm asking around and getting as many opinions and points of view as possible.

luckily our gym is quite close to home

lots of factors
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2010