My son plays clarinett in the school band. His band practice is twice a week after school. Would you let your child miss a week of practice to participate in a school sport after school?

He really wants to play basketball intramurals after school. Which means he will have to miss two band practices. He really wants to play basketball. And I think he should be able to do both. What do you think?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Only one week? Sure, I don't think it's a big deal. I was in band and I knew kids who were in band and also played football or basketball. As long as he'll be able to keep up with both, why not?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• If he can't do both without missing practices, and missing practices means exactly that he can't do both, you and he should sit down and pick one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You need to talk to the band director. There might be a compromise with the director. I've got a child in the high school band and during marching season , one student missed Thursday's afterschool practice because he was also on the cross country team. But he and the band director worked it all out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:04 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Right now, it's 2 band practices. It will become more. He needs to choose which on he wants to do. Maybe not this year, but soon.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I played an instrument for 15 years in college, etc. and when you start something and really get into it, you shouldn't miss practices, etc. esp. if other kids are depending on you. If they are mandatory he should not miss them. If they are optional then it's fine, but it's not a good message to send to him that he can just pick and choose from mandatory practices if he feels like it. That's not a good way to teach dedication and hard work.
    Anonymous

• Make him do basketball practice. Just be careful . My son broke his finger and it affected his grades. He went from B's to a and aplus in some classes. I reccomend it for the younger grades.
    Anonymous