How should I go about getting my dog out of our bed?

We felt mean not letting her sleep with us so she's gotten used to it. She's just so big so she's taking up a lot of space. She's also a pretty mean sleeper. If our legs move to suddenly or we accidentally touch her (in our sleep) she jumps up and growls. It's kinda scary so I want her to start sleeping in her own bed. She has a big pillow type bed on the floor that she'll start off in but always ends up in our bed. I'm sure it might be that our bed is just more comfortable so I ordered a memory foam pad like ours to give her. I don't want to throw her out of the room at night. She'd probably keep everyone awake with her crying anyway. What tricks or training things should I need to make her more attracted to her bed than ours?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 10:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pets

• You could try letting her sleep on the floor in your room.
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 10:28 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Get a kennel......I had a huge rottweiler, i'd be damned if she growled at me. I'd start to remedy that behavior quick, if they get away with it there, they'll think they can do it to you anytime and god forbid she bites a child. Then introduce her to her new sleep spot, her kennel. After a week or two of shutting the kennel at night so she sleeps, she should end up going to the kennel herself to sleep. Put in a toy or two and a soft bed like cushion for her so she can transition easier. You'll have to be very strict, and not allow her to cry or growl if placed in her bed. A strict NO should begin the training
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I have no problem with dogs sleeping in my bed big or small but they need to know it is a privilege and not their right. The fact that she growls i would kick her out of the bed immediately. You might get a 2 ft leash that you can keep on her to pull her off the bed when she gets on with out permission at night. Before i let my dogs in my bed they are taught to wait until i am in bed and give them the okay. I also teach them the off command.   you should get a bed for her to keep in your bedroom

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• She has a bed in my room and that's what I'm trying to get her to stay in. She's afraid of kennels. If I take her off the bed, she'll just jump right back on. I try getting her off as soon as she growls but Im honestly afraid she'll bite me. So I want to just take that territory back to avoid the growling. Is leashing her to furniture on the floor by her bed worth trying?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Definitely try a kennel. You'll have to teach her gradually and gently to accept it. Start giving her a treat. Get her to go in with the door open first. Make sure she has a bed or something comforting in there.

I wouldn't leash her to the furniture, honestly. She's just going to bark and probably damage the furniture.

You can try consistently telling her to get off as soon as she gets up on your bed. You can also try getting something that emits a high pitched beep (similar to a barker breaker) and press a button to make the beep whenever she's on the bed. Then when she gets off, praise her profusely. Don't let her be in the room when you're not there.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 1:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• This is a dog who doesn't know her place in the pack. Sleeping in the bed and being on the furniture are equal. Dogs don't need to be on the human furniture. They need to be on dog beds and floors.

Leadership training is the only way to fix this. She needs constant proof that the humans are in charge. Dogs love to know their place in the pack. When they have a strong pack leader, they feel so much more secure. They are comforted to be a lower level animal in the pack. It means they are cared for.

When you are walking on a leash, she must walk next to you, never in front. Humans always go through doors before dogs. Dogs eat after humans. Dogs stay low on the floor, not the furniture.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Ditto what Ecodani said. Most "problem" dogs got that way because they were raised like a child and not a dog.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• try to watch the ceaser milan the dog whisperer(SP?) on the national geographic channel. he will gv u some good ideas on how to b a good pack leader. one of his firm beliefs is that u must b calm and have good thoughts to be a confident pack leader. that is what the dog reacts off of --your emotional state. its a good show for those who lk dogs and those who need help with their own dogs. he always starts teaching with a dog who has been walked and is worn out so he has less energy to object with.give it a try. he also has some suggestions as to where and how to get additional help when needed. good luck. u too can b a pack leader!!
    Anonymous