Brushing my 5YO DD's hair...

Has become a battle every time. We use 2 in 1 shampoo AND conditioner to make sure its not knotty and even detangling spray, we even have a water softener, lol, and her hair is not overly knotty, I can be as gentle as a freaking lamb and she still fights me and screams and says it hurts every.single.time. What can I do to make this not such a nightmare??

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioners don't work well. we do a little shampoo and a LOT of conditioner, and it works really well. hold the section that you're brushing so it doesn't pull so much. also, i only brush it when it's wet, it's too hard otherwise. i also keep it in braids a lot, otherwise i'd have to brush it 5 times a day. it also depends on the kind of brush you use. we can't use combs, we found an 'ouchless' brush and it is great.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Start from the bottom up. If she has long hair, you can hold the section that you're working on so that if it yanks, it'll yank to your hand, not her scalp.

Braids are wonderful! They keep hair from tangling during the daytime.

Would she be opposed to shorter hair?
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 10:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Get an "Ouchless" brush - sold at drugstores. My daughter has thick, curly hair and that helped so much. I also started using Garnier Fructis leave in conditioning cream in her hair after bath/shower and brush through it while it's wet. She used to fuss too, but those two things have cut the fussing and it's so much easier now!

Answer by missanc at 10:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Put conditioner in a spray bottle with water and do what kitkabob said start from the bottom up.

My dd had long hair and she sometimes would give me hell so now it is alittle past her shoulders and it looks so cute and easier to mange.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• 2 in 1's suck. Do shampoo and cond., detangle when wet with cond. and work from bottom up. Cond and water mix in a spray bottle is also a great detangler (and better and cheaper than the "ready" mixes)
    I haven't tried the brush the mom above mentioned but will keep an eye out for it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2010