Books on Adoption for Adoptees

We have a couple books on stories of adoption that we read to DD, but they are of international or long-distance adoption...DD's adoption was a local domestic infant and it is very open. She just turned 4 and I would love to get a book or two that would more pertain to the story of her adoption.

Anyone have any suggestions of books that I'm looking for that would be age appropriate?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Adoption

• Even though my DD is only 3months old, I liked the "I Wish for You" book and we already read it to her. It doesn't make the assumption that the mom is very young and does seem to reaffirm the idea of "lots of love" from everyone involved. Keep us posted if you find anything else good.
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• http://www.amazon.com/My-Special-Family-Childrens-Adoption/dp/0964000911

http://www.amazon.com/Wished-You-Adoption-Recipient-Creative/dp/1934082066/ref=pd_cp_b_0

Just googling, haven't read them. Maybe your library or a local bookstore would have copies so that you could thumb thru before purchasing.  Suggested ages 4-8 on both. :)

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• PS, AAK, the first one is for open adoption specifically and has one review in which it states that there are places for pics of both families, etc. The DD really liked, but they said that the artwork colors were "dull", so that it needed some stickers to spruce it up and make it exciting.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I'll have to look for some that are for open adoption. I have several books for kids on adoption that people have given me, but none of them are for open adoption. They also assume that the child's bmom was very young (both of my kids' bmoms are older than me). Thanks for the recommendation, DBF.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Make one!

We took the verbiage from "tell me again about the night I was born" and customized it to fit us a little, then used our pictures and created a book on snapfish and that is what we have used. The books are pretty inexpensive to make.
    SandalsKitty

Answer by SandalsKitty at 6:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• http://adoption.about.com/od/guidereviews/fr/megansbdaytree.htm Found another with this synopsis below. Ages 5-8

"Kendra, Megan's birth mom, planted a tree in her back yard after Megan was born. Each year Kendra decorates the tree and sends a picture of it to Megan. When Megan receives a letter from Kendra announcing her future wedding and plans to move, Megan worries that her birth mom will forget her. Megan believes that the tree is what holds them together, she quickly learns that their bond goes much deeper. This is a sweet story that shows how an open adoption can help a child with his/her identity."

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• http://www.amazon.com/Tell-Again-About-Night-Born/dp/0064435814/ref=pd_cp_b_2

AAK, I was thinking DD's birth mom was older (guess that must have been yours, Iamgr8teful) so I skipped this one. The "Tell Me Again About the night I was Born" assumes the birth mom is "very young."

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Thanks DPF. I'm going to be at the library tomorrow taking DD to Seussapaloosa so I'll print up those titles and see what I can come up with.

If you find any Iamgr8teful that might pertain to our adoption situation, please let me know. DD's BMom was young when she was born (16), so that at least would apple to us! :-)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You know SK, I did make one. I asked BMom for a picture of her while pregnant and a picture of DD during the 3 months she had her (I wanted the book to be fun, yet thorough and tell the story from the time we met BMom when she was 6 months pregnant to the time we finalized the adoption), but she has never given us any. So we have a book that I consider very much unfinished. :-/
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2010