Menu help...

I'm planning a very casual party for my son's 3rd birthday. Normally I do some appetizers and pizza, but eh... looking for some new ideas. It will be 7 adults and 6 kids under 5. Thoughts? Anything I can prep ahead of time is best...

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• A day or so before the party, cook a beef or pork roast in the crock pot. When it's done, take out/off all the fat, and chop up the meat. Put back in the crock pot and douse with bbq sauce. Refrigerate. A few hours before the party, put the crock pot on, to heat the meat. Add extra sauce if you need to as it get hot. Serve on nice buns/rolls. Fruit & veggie platter with dips, some chips if you want, drinks, cake & ice cream, voila, easy, fairly cheap, delicious, and liked by most!
    Anonymous

• get a nice loaf of bread you enjoy, challah, italian, french.....and get some great cold cuts for it. I would get pastrami, roast beef, chicken, ham...etc...make a deliscious sandwich (no mayo or mustard...let them add it to the sandwich) have the toppings in a dish like tomatoes, pickles, peppers, lettuce, mayo and mustard. Have chips and dip and a veggie/dip tray. you can also make appetizer meatballs which are always a hit with kids!! Make tons of little small meatballs and cook em up! Kids love finger food so those are a hit, the veggies, and any other bite size food.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• pigs in a blanket, spinach and artichoke dip (check recipezaar.com, i have a recipe off there that was DELICOUS) with tortilla chips, fresh fruit kabobs, baked chicken fries (freezer section) tater tots, etc. just think finger foods/ appetizers and you'll be good.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 10:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Check out the party and kid friendly categories: daniellecooks.wordpress.com

Chicken drumsticks are less messy than wings and the price is usually a little better per serving. Taco/ baked potato bar is always fun.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:20 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would do a taco bar. I was told by my wic office not to give kids under 5 any type of deli meats that had not been reheated to 160 degrees because of the chance of listeria. But I know many people do, and their kids don't get sick lol. I just don't do it. Taco or nacho bars are great though. I would cook up some ground beef or turkey, add in taco seasoning. Put it in a bowl to serve. Then heat up a few cans of refried beans, and chop some tomatoes, lettuce, and shred some cheese. Put out taco shells and tortilla chips, and there you go. They can make their own as they want it. If you would rather have the "nacho cheese" then you can buy some of the jars of queso and heat it up too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Taco bar! You can prepare the filling and topings ahead of time: LENTIL TACOS
    Ingredients
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
    8 ounce can tomato sauce (or home made)
    corn tortillas (for fun, use a mix of white, yellow and blue)
    1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (or make your own with the recipe below)
    handful of textured soy protein, optional (I leave this out)
    lettuce (shredded)
    cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced)
    tomatoes (chopped)
    lemon or lime wedges (optional)
    Directions

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until it's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary. Add more textured soy protein if you want more texture and continue to heat until the textured soy protein is fully hydrated. In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• This recipe makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own. Enjoy!!
    Taco Seasoning:
    4.5 tsp. paprika;
    1 tsp. cumin powder;
    0.5 tsp. oregano;
    1 tsp. chili powder;
    1 tsp. onion powder;
    0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional, I've never used it);
    1 tsp. salt;
    1 tsp. sugar;
    0.5 tsp. garlic powder;
    1 tsp. flour;
    0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
    Mix all together and store in airtight container. Makes approx. 4 tablespoonful - the equivalent of 1 package of seasoning (enough to season 1 pound of meat or a substitute). This mix is very mild, I add cayenne.