Infant weight gain?

I recently took my infant for his 2 month doctor's check. His doctor was concerned because he is only in the 10th percentile for weight, but 50th for head circumference and length.

I am bringing him back in a few weeks for a weight check, but I'm curious about what doctors usually recommend if the baby is not gaining enough weight. Your experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how big is he? my 6wk old boy is 12lbs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My babies were always around the 10th percentile, or lower. My 2nd was barely even on the charts, and he wasn't for a while but he continued to grow at his own pace. As long as he is eating regularly and gaining at his own rate, he is fine.
    My 1st didn't gain back his birth weight in the right amount of time (he lost a lot of weight in the hospital), so I had to take him in one day, have him weighed, breastfeed him in the room, and then they weighed him again to make sure he was eating enough and getting enough breast milk.
    I have heard of some drs recommending rice cereal - I do not recommend this.

Answer by missanc at 10:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i wouldnt worry my DD has always been small weight wise just height wise was tall... at 6 months she was 13lbs and 27inches and now at 15 months 21lbs and 34 inches so tall and skinny, nothing to sweat
    aliciaDnewman25

Answer by aliciaDnewman25 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i might add she started out big 2, was 8lbs 9oz at birth.. didn't gain much since but 100% healthy
    aliciaDnewman25

Answer by aliciaDnewman25 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• OP - he was 6lbs 13 oz, 20 inches at birth; 9lbs 12 oz and 22.5 inches at 2 months.

He is perfectly healthy in every other respect...just low weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• First he was low at birth so I would not be worried. Our doc says as long as they stay within plus or minus 10 percent of where they were born on height and weight until they hit about 4 years old then he is not worried. My son was born at 9% and was and still is right around there. He was and is about 90% for height so he is very tall and skinny. He actually dropped off the charts one time, but with the docs rule the doc just had us bring him in a month later and he had shot right back up to 11%. My daughter has stayed around 50% for both. I would just check wet and dirty diapers and if the doctor really gives you a hard time then I would see about a second opinion. He was small at birth and will likely stay that way most his life. At this age if you are nursing some doctors will tell you to start giving formula which is a bad idea. If you are already formula feeding then they usually mistakenly suggest feeding more.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• all of my babies hovered at the bottom of the weight scale. i think it's fine. some people are smaller than others, why wouldn't babies be?
    if you are breastfeeding, you can look for a breastfeeding weight chart online.
    i don't know what the concerns are with regards to head circumference though.
    always ask your dr.
    what would happen if we do nothing?
    what are the alternatives?
    what are other opinions regarding this subject?
    good luck and congrats on your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• my daughter is 8weeks, just had her checkup they said she was normal. 10.9 lbs
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 4:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2010