Can I stop gaining weight?

I am 19 weeks pregnant and have already gained 25 pounds! This is how much you are supposed to gain for the whole pregnancy, so can I try to stop gaining weight now? I am very unconfortable and can't stand the idea of gaining more weight. I know some people gain all their weight in the second or third trimester but is it ok to gain it in the first and then stop?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• How are you just going to stop gaining weight?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Nope - your baby didn't need many of the calories you ate during the first trimester, but she will need a steady supply of calories throughout the rest of your pregnancy while she's growing. Just make sure that you aren't overeating and you're eating healthy foods!

Answer by missanc at 10:30 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You can prevent unnecessary weight gain, by eating well, and being active. Did you know that it is recommended that pregnant women walk 2mi at least 3x a week?
    You can not prevent weight gain, since the baby will still gain, but if you are NOT active, you should be limiting your caloric intake slightly, and avoiding All SWEETS & JUNK FOOD. It only takes approx 300 extra calories daily to sustain a pregnancy. That is the same amount which is in a med baked potato (without butter!). Pregnancy should not be an excuse to eat.

Make wise food choice, and stay active, weight gain should not be an issue if you do.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Talk to your OB
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I work out about 6 hours total a week. I just have a really hard time with food. I was just thinking I would go back on my prepregnancy diet and hoped the baby could get the extra calories it needs from the fat I have stored in the first trimester. If I'm not on a strict diet, I have a very hard time not overeating.
    karina400

Answer by karina400 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Make your calories count. Eat raw, cut up fruits & veggies all day, rather than snack foods. Eat only whole grain, lean meats (if any meat at all), and cut out dairy. Add leafy greens, and lots of water.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You don't have to go on a "diet" to be on a healthy diet - write out your calories and your nutritional needs. As long as those are being met, you'll be fine. But you need to make sure you are eating enough calories for your baby to get what he/she needs. Baby can't eat up your fat stores, they need a steady supply of calories. You can talk to your OB, but you need to up your caloric intake by about 300 calories from what you were eating to maintain your prepregnancy weight.

Answer by missanc at 10:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Some women gain 75 lbs throughout pregnancy, the more weight you gain, the higher risk you have of getting stretch marks. Eat a bunch of small meals throughout the day instead of 3 big ones Lay off soda because it's empty calories, drink something more like 100% fruit juice, water, or milk, switch to whole grain bread, eat at least 1-2 fruit/ veggies-per day and take your vitamins. Many cravings have to do with a lack of something that's in the food, like craving for spaghetti with meatballs may be a lack of protein, vegetables mixed with a carb addiction. Be DILIGENT about taking your prenatal vitamins so you won't over-indulge to compensate for lack of nutrician. I had the same problem you did with my last pregnancy, but my current pregnancy I have only gained about 25-30 lbs and I'm 37 weeks... ALMOST OVER... YEYYY! lol
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 11:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Actually an average size pregnant woman should gain between 30-35lbs. Petite women should gain a bit more and an obese woman should gain less. So if you're an average size woman, you still have a bit more to gain. Some women gain more than the recommended amount and lose it just fine. So I would absolutely NOT go on a diet trying to keep your weight down during pregnancy. I would eat healthy and not starve myself. Drink lots of water and have several healthy snacks throughout the day. Also mild exercise is a good idea. Maybe park several parking spaces further than you normally would to have the extra walk. Or clean your house a little bit more than you would to keep moving.
    Anonymous