stealing money???

my 10 yr old dd has been acting up lately.she has been having bad dreams and acting out..over the week end she went into my dh wallet and stole some money...i know this is a hard age but this is going over the rebelious stage...whats up with this???i talk to her. we have girls day out..then she came out with "i like to look at dead animals>>i have written this before.i know this post isnt real drama that every one answers to but i need nhelp with this one.or at least some ideas???

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• How much money did she steal? If it was $5-$10, I'd just let her know that you know she took it and ask her what she plans to use the money for. If it's $20 or more, I'd sit her down and talk to her telling her that it is not acceptable to do that, that you would have given her the money if she just asked, and if it happens again you will start taking away *this* or *that*

If you believe her acting-out behavior has to do with her having bad dreams, I would definitely get her in to see a psychologist. There could be something going on that you may not be able to help her with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I think you should talk to psychologist or at least mention it to the pediatrician and see if he thinks she should be referred. Stealing and fascination with dead animals sound like they could be signs of a developing issue. If she talks to someone sooner it could really help. It will at least demonstrate to her that you have noticed her acting out and you are willing to take serious steps to help her get back on a more healthy path.

Her fascination with dead animals could just mean that she is science minded and is interested in how the body works but it's still a good idea to have her talk to someone. In combination with the stealing I'd say it's worth at least an evaluation. The stealing could be a phase and the animals could just be natural curiosity so try to avoid putting any labels in your mind for now.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Does she really like to look at dead animals or do you think that she saying that to shock you? I am way more concerned with that statement than the money stealing. I think that most kids at one time or another take something - money, whatever from their parent.
    The dead animal thing is disturbing - If you really think that is the cause I would seek out a psychologist. Immediately.

GL!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• OP---my dd doesnt seem to have or know about the shock factor....thats what bothered me.she said it so matter- of- factly....we were driving and she was looking on the side of the road and she said she was looking for dead animals...then she said it again....then on cable is those sad dog commercials she said she liked them...i didnt respond ....
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2010