Should I apologize?

I was joking around with a lady from church last night ( she's also a neighbor). I was teasing her about her texting while she's driving, and also the snow flying off her van hitting our van. I always joke around with her, and I was laughing ( and so was my husband) when I was joking with her. Apparently, she thought I was really reaming her out, because after we got home from church, her husband came over to talk to my husband and said she thought I was going off on her. My husband told him that I was just joking. I have no idea what her problem was, maybe she's PMSing or was having a bad day. I don't think I did anything wrong, because I was just teasing and I always tease her like that, and she also jokes with me as well. Should I apologize, even though she's the one who was hypersensitive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• You probably just saved someone's life. She obviously feels guilty about her poor driving habits. The fact that you meant nothing by it is irrelavent. I don't see any reason to apologize. You were right no even though you thought you were joking. Just act like nothing happened and never bring it up again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would apologize for her taking it the wrong way. I would go to her and explain that you were not going off on her and was just joking and let her know how bad you feel that she took it the wrong way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would test the waters with her. Maybe pop in for a visit and see how she acts. If she's on edge around you, maybe just bring up that you're sorry if you offended her the other day because you were just joking around. Then maybe ask if there's been something bothering her because she would have normally of been laughing along with you.
    Anonymous

• You might apologize for making her think you were giving her a hard time but in truth, God can be her Co Pilot but texting is dangerous, irresponsible, and illegal. She needs to stop before she kills someone.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• it might not be a bad idea, but let her know that you were only joking.. maybe follow up with asking her if anything is bothering her that maybe you could help with. sometimes for the sake of harmony (since she's your neighbor and everything) it doesn't hurt to apologize even if they're a complete nutjob :-) maybe someone else has already given her an earful about texting while driving (isn't it easier to just CALL for crying out loud?)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 10:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You could always talk to the Pastor and ask him how to handle it but she needs to be told by someone she will listen to stop. I can't believe her husband is ok with her endangering her life and the life of others. It's no different than drinking and driving and I'm sure he'd not condone that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Did you do it in front of someone? Did you see how her mood was that day before you started? Some days we just aren't in the mood for teasing (even when done in fun). Possible that it was just a bad day.
    If you value your friendship, call, or better yet go over and tell her that you're sorry, you didn't mean to hurt her feelings.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You may have been joking, but she didn't take it that way. Yes you should apologize, whether you meant it that way or not, somehow her feeling got hurt by what YOU said. Definitely apologize and explain that it was just a miscommunication.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Texting while driving is the snow is VERY dangerous. She was embarassed which is why she is acting this way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I'd say she knows she's wrong for texting while driving, and is embarrassed that someone noticed. If you like being friends with her, I don't know that I'd apologize, exactly, but maybe say something along the lines of, "Hey, I was only teasing and joking with you the other day. I didn't intend to hurt your feelings or make you feel bad."
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2010