Natural Depression Remidies

I am continually fighting depression. Before I get all the "get help" answers, that isn't an option. My family of 4 is living on less than $1000 a month and have no health coverage.

But I was hoping there were other tips and tricks out there. I have a lot on my plate. I have 3 & 4 yo boys, a DH recovering from Opiate Addiction who has anxiety issues. I have a home business and a retail job (although they rarely have hours for me)

I can't ever seem to get caught up, and the fact that I don't want to get out of bed for days only makes it worse.

What can I do? Are there foods good for this kind of thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Health

• smoke some weed...for real it does work
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yoga has always helped me..Its nice to get up early before everyone and do some stretching and poses, it gets you going and in a positive mood..I like the spiritual aspect of yoga as well. Namaste~

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 10:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Op here -um... thanks anon. But did you read the part about my DH being in recovery? Yeah, I would love to kick him off the wagon, why the hell not? Also, I hated weed when I was a pot head, and it always made me very paranoid & even violent... No thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I'd definitely give a vitamin D supplement a try, vitamin D deficiency can give you feelings of depression.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• St. Johns Wort.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I have bipolar type II (heavier on the depression then the manic) and I take St. John's wort, fish oil capsule, and a multivitamin every day. When I started the SJW I took it three times a day, then after a month took it down to twice, now I'm down to 1 in the morning. You can get it at a pharmacy or a health food store, but I got mine at dollar general - 5 bucks. I haven't had a depressed episode in 3 months, which is a new record.
    Also, fish oil and vitamin B are good for the anxiety I got when I lost my job. Maybe your dh should try taking those at least for his situation.
    When all else fails, I bake stuff. :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 10:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I have seasonal depression. This year I am taking vitamins, walking 45minto 1 hr of walking on the treadmill and sitting in the sunlight every day for 15-20 mins. Some days we don't get the sun but sitting in the window for 20mins seems to help me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Fish oil or flaxseed oil. It helps you feel less stressed. Eliminate or at least cut back the amount of gluten in your diet. St Johns wort never helped me. But the flaxseed oil made a difference. I take 2 in the morning & 2 at bedtime. Also add a garlic pill too. Being under so much stress you're more likely to get sick. Garlic has natural antiviral & antibiotic properties.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• a walk in the sunshine? in addition to the other suggestions!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2010