If I homeschool my son through elementary school will he have a harder time in middle school?

I hate the public schools in my area. But I'm afraid if I homeschool him through all of school he will miss opportunities like sports, art contests, choir or whatever he's into. But I don't want him to not fit in when he starts public school either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in

• You can put him in sports and home school . You need to get together with other mom's that home school in your area. There is a lot you do you can do when home schooling you just need to get information.

Some H S mom's will get together every week. So they see other kids and they do things together.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• He can still participate in those activities, even though he's homeschooled. Don't let your fear of what other people think stop you from homeschooling. I homeschool and my kids are very active in many activities, piano, archery, Tae Kwon do,etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would be much more concerned about your son being academically competitive. This is why we choose to not homeschool. If you are in Chicago, I will be happy to help you navigate the school system

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• That's entirely up to both you and your son.
    If you educate him well, and he's receptive to the learning, he will be fine.
    If you are only going to make a half-assed effort, he will suffer.
    If he makes a half-assed effort, he will suffer.
    If you both are dedicated, take it seriously, give it your all and work hard, your child will come out with a better education than the ps could provide.

Homeschooled students don't have to miss out on any opportunities anymore. There are sports groups, lessons, choirs, dances, art and science clubs, any thing you can think of, either available through the public school system or through local homeschooling networks. They may not all be right in your backyard (5 min drive), but they do exist. Your child doesn't have to miss out on anything.

We just received an invitation to the annual homeschool spring formal today.
    Anonymous

• It depends entirely on how you handle homeschooling. Most of the students who enroll in the public school where I teacher after being home schooled are severely behind. When parents don't do their research and keep up with what skills are developmentally appropriate, kids can fall behind and have a very tough time when they are put back in school. On the other hand, if you do your research and thoroughly prepare yourself your child will have the benefit of individualized instruction that could result in them progressing faster than they would have in school. It's up to you.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010