• In the Spotlight:

breastfeeding mom question

me and my husband are trying for baby number two!!! my daughter just turned a year old, and am breastfeeding her still. my question is how long did it take you to get pregnant again while still breastfeeding(planned or not), am just curious, lol

ashcrash

Asked by ashcrash at 11:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• That would really depend on whether you've gotten your cycle back or not. I got my cycle back very shortly after the birth of both my boys, my oldest was 4-5 months old when I got pregnant with my second, and my second was around the same age when I got pregnant with my third. I exclusively breastfed both, it just didn't do anything to stop my cycle.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My 2nd child was 9 months old and I was breastfeeding him when I got pregnant with my 3rd. I did not get my cycle back before becoming pregnant, so my only "sign" was nausea.

Answer by missanc at 11:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I didn't get my cycle back with my children until they were about 15 months old (both were still nursing then too) and I got pregnant with #2 about after 2 cycles. You can get pregnant without ever having a period though too. Have you gotten your period back? If yes then track and find out when you are ovulating becuase it can be erratic when your cycle is just returning.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I got pregnant with our second while breastfeeding our first. I never wound up getting my period back because I was breastfeeding (I still don't have it for the same reason!) My hubby and I started trying right after our daughter's first birthday. She turned one at the end of April, and by the end of May I found out I was pregnant with #2! It didn't take long for me and I was worried because I never got my period back...which is why we both were surprised to find out I was pregnant considering we pretty much had just started trying! I'm sure it's different for every woman. The only reason I found out I was actually pregnant was because my breasts got really sore one morning after nursing my daughter, so I figured I'd just take a test for the heck of it. I thought I had gotten my period back about a week before that, but it happened to be implantation bleeding. Good luck to you!!
    aefranc

Answer by aefranc at 2:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2010