Whats up with unemployment? Will i not be able top file an extention?

I'm currently on unemployment, got laid off in January. I really thought i would find a job, but i'm having a very difficult time here. I'm nervous that i will not be able to find a job by the time my UI runs out. They told me when i filed i could get an extention if i have not found a job yet, but now I'm hearing all this stuff on the news about people losing their unemployment.

So, if i can't find a job....will i not be able to file for an extention? I'm so scared i'm going to be flat broke...already using up all of savings to pay bills!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Did you get laid off in Jan 2010 or 2009? If it was 2010 don't worry about it. If it was 2009 worry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Unemployment update: extension blocked by Senate GOP
    it seems the Senate tried to bring up the unemployment benefits extension bill passed by the House last week, but Sen. John Kyl (R-AZ) blocked the move by objecting to Majority Leader Harry Reid's unanimous consent request.
    Jobless numbers came in last month showing increases at a 20-year high, but Republicans, true to form, are blocking a bill that offers a 13-week extension of benefits for states with unemployment rates over 6%. At issue: $11.7 billion in benefits for some 3.2 million unemployed workers, according to the Congressional Budget Office. That's a whopping $3656.25 per beneficiary.
    The GOP complaint? They view the Democratic plan as a giveaway. A spending spree for people who don't deserve it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• OP HERE:

I'm sure that some don't deserve it & sit on their ass, but there are alot of people, like myself, who is out there looking for a job every single day. I even applied at a friggen coffee shop & didn't get the job! There are plenty of follks who need it. Mayber they should come up with a plan that proves people are doing their best looking for a job. This could filter out a lot of the lazy folks that are abusing unemployment & ruining it for the folks who really need it & are actually on their feet every day looking for work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• If you were recently laid off, you may be able to file an extension. However, you should check with your state office to find out what will happen. When your benefits are almost out, they will most likely send you a letter telling you what you should do when your original claim runs out.

I've been unemployed for over a year. My last extension ran out a couple weeks ago. I've been sending out resumes and applications like mad this past year. Oh well. I knew I wasn't going to receive benefits after a certain point. I'm still trying as much as ever to find a job, but even the temp agencies here don't have a lot available. And what they do have available... well the number of people to fill those positions far exceeds the number of positions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• A more extensive bill is in the works for this week. And if necessary the one that was stopped can be overrode.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• OP, sorry to hear you are unemployed. I hope things get better for you soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I don't know..... it just bites big-time either way. The last thing you want is to depend on Unemployment, but there are NO jobs to be had! NONE of the fast food places are hiring, nor are the restaurants around here! (I have apps at ALL of them......) The retail stores are cutting back. Factories are closing up shop or MOVING. At the job center, the jobs there need such specific qualifications that you need years of school, in fields of study that I have NO knowledge of, and located in cities that are too far away. Even the temp services are closing!!!!

Anyway, good luck, maybe O will create some jobs this week.............LOLOL!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Also the first two tiers of unemployment extensions are still in place.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• TONS of people are losing their unemployment this week.

You need to contact you unemlpoyment office to FIND OUT if you're one of them.
    Anonymous

• What kind of job are you trying to find OP?
    Anonymous