Why can you not get re-married in the same church you once got married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can. It would depend on the church, and I would think possibly in bad taste (I wanted things totally different for my 2nd, including a different location) but not all churches would have a problem with it.

Answer by missanc at 11:20 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• what? My church you can
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• marriage after divorce, or renewal of vows?

just google scripture regarding the church's view on divorce and that should answer your question.

renewing vows is another thing entirely.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

marriage with another person after divorce. I'm just curious. op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• If you are Catholic, you cannot remarry after a legal divorce. The marriage must be annulled by the Church because marriage is a holy Sacrament, not just a legal piece of paper. Once the marriage has been annulled, then you may remarry in the Catholic Church.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Are you trying to renew your vows with the same person?

If you take a vow before God to stay married until does you part then the Catholic Church won't marry you to someone else because you are already married. You can seek an anolment because you feel the marriage was not valis for some reason.

The same way you have to seek a leagal divorece through the courts before you remarry you have to seek an annulment if you decided to marry in the Catholic Church the first time. This is because the Catholic Church took your marriage vows very seriously and if the marriage broke down it should be annuled.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2010