Bottle feeding this time around. Questions for hospital stay!

I breast fed with my first son and had a terrible time/experience. I ended up switching to the bottle before I went back to work (at about 5 weeks old). It was so much easier for myself and my husband to share the responsibility that way. Anyway, I'm packing for the hospital with my second and wondered what I should be taking? Do I need to bring my own bottle I plan to be using? I need really small bras also, right? Should I be buying pads for any leakage or isn't there any if you don't start?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 11:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You don't need to bring bottles to the hospital, they have already prepared formula in tiny bottles to give the baby. As for the bra, you don't need a small one, you just need one that fits snug. You can bring breast pads just in case you leak but I didn't need them until about a week or two after birth. But I was breastfeeding. I really don't remember if I leaked with my first two that were not breastfed.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would bring nursing pads just in case, and I think a snug fitting bra would be a appropriate. They will have bottles for you to use; I wouldn't bring any, but you could bring your own if you wanted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My hospital gave me some bottles to take home, just to get through the frst 2 days so I didn't have to worry about that one more thing for a couple days atleast.I have done both.Just tell the Hospital right away so they know thats what YOU want to do.So they don't try to push you to do it if you don't want to.(breastfeed)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would wear a regular bra. If you're not going to BF, you're going to get engorged (but not until your milk comes in), and anything snug or tight can lead to problems (mastitis, etc...) and you don't want to experience that. You won't need nursing pads until your milk comes in either. If you do reconsider your decision, just know that every baby will give you a different experience, you might find it to be extremely easy this time...and again, thats just some food for thought in the event you might reconsider.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I didn't BF with my son and they had nice little bottles for him.. As for the bra thing yes a tight bra, my doctor told me to get a sports bra like 1 size smaller and it worked great, I never leacked.. gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 1:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I just wanted to tell you that I had a HORRID experience nursing my 1st child. She had trouble latching, I was sore, I cried, she cried...all around very difficult experience.

I decided I would my nurse my second child as well and expected another HORRID experience was I was WRONG. My son latched on with little effort from me and has nursed like a champ since then. He's now 8 months old and I haven't had A SINGLE breastfeeding issue.

You should really think about it and reconsider. Any breastfeeding is better for your baby than none at all and formulas come with a LOT of risk. All babies are different and you never know what amazing breastfeeding experience you may miss out on.
    Anonymous

• Some hospitals don't provide formula any more because they are trying to encourage mothers to nurse their babies so you have to pack your own. You should call your hospital and find out what the protocal is.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the stories & answers, ladies. Although I would appreciate it if whoever is being so judgemental and telling me I'm not giving my baby a healthy start would rethink their answer next time they post. That was a horrible thing to say. I could be telling you that YOU are a horrible mother, but I'm not because I don't know you and I don't know your story. I'd tell you where to take your answer, but I do not believe in solving problems that way. P.S. If you want to make statements like that, at least be brave enough to not post anonymous!
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 10:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2010