Can I soak Hot Wheels cars in a bleach solution?

I've been all over their website and can't find any info! My kiddo has just gone through round 2 of a really nasty stomache bug and so I'm bleach sanitizing all of his toys that I can. I have the clorox wipes but I'm not really excited by the idea of wiping down 100 or so tiny cars! Help!
(so there may not really be 100 of them, but there's bunches! I swear they mulitply like rabbits! lol!)

okeefe11

Asked by okeefe11 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Health

• I used baby wipes to clean my son's toys.Or use vinegar and water. Or even lemon and water. I don't like to use bleach.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• boil a large pot of water, remove it from the heat, dump the cars in, and let them set for 90 seconds. move them around a couple of times to ensure that you do not melt any of them on the bottom of the pot. Drain, and you're good to go. That is what I do with ours.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• use*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yeah you can.... a bleach solution of 1:10 (1 part bleach to 10 parts water) and soak for a few minutes moving them a round a bit should do it!. Just make sure you rinse & dry them well before letting him play with them again. They use this to clean toys in many daycare and it works well!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Oh, I would like to add this about bleach, since there are so many bleach-a-phobes about... It evaporates. If you clean toys with it, it does not leave a residue when it is all dry. (it would take soaking it in straight bleach to have ANY ill effect)
    Bleach is the ONLY way to kill several nasty bacteria (outside of boiling).

The reason I use hot water, is because it is quicker, and It won't strip off some of the paint colors that the bleach will, or oxidize the cheap diecast cars.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• you can put vinegar water in a spray bottle, spray them, and you don't even need to rinse it! the smell goes away pretty quickly!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Ya'll are the best! I ended up doing the bleach thing with half and boiling the other half (that way if I did end up ruining some, I wouldn't have an upset 3yo). Both ways actually worked great with no paint peeling/discoloration. :) I really appreciate the help!
    okeefe11

Answer by okeefe11 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2010