How to stop pacifier with 18 month old?!?!?!

I have an 18 month old and I think it is time to stop the pacifier. He only uses it to sleep, but if he loses it in the middle of the night he will cry for an hour until I come and give it to him, then right back to sleep he goes. How do I stop the pacifier use? I fear that he will cry and be awake most the night. Do I just let him cry like this until he gets used to it? how long will it go on? He really loves his pacifier, but I think it is time. Any suggestions?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 11:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how about cutting the tip off... or telling him that he's old enough now that it's time to give it to other babies who need it... (find a baby that he knows... a cousin or something, and have him "give" the binky to the baby."
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• You don't.

Most experts agree that pacifiers cause no problems until after 3. You decided to use a pacifier when it was easier for you than breastfeeding now it's not fair to take it away. It's natural for an 18 month old to still be breastfeeding and meeting their sucking needs at the breast.

Never cut a pacifier. It would be a choking hazard.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:43 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Cutting the tip off changes how it feels in the mouth. Take all of them and do that. An old man told me this one day with my youngest. I thought he was crazy LOL.. sure enough it works like a charm. I cut the ends off of all of them and put them everywhere, he would pick one up put it in his mouth and spit it back out.. He walked away and never went back. Wished I had known that many years before with my oldest..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• For my daughter, I told her that she was a big girl now and the pacifier ws acky so we should throw it away. I had her throw it away herself that way she really knew what was going on. She never asked for it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I want to stop it because I am tired of him waking up several times a night when he loses it - I am pregnant again and need my sleep!
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 1:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I agree with Gaill. The latest research shows that babies/toddlers need ways to soothe themselves up until around age three. Let him keep the pacifier for now. You might try putting a couple of extras in his bed.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2010