Why do Government Forms come in Spanish/English format?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You said you travelled to countries but that is not the same as living and residing in a country. You probably didn't have to fill out government and legal forms.
    ----------
    When I lived abroad for a while, yes, I had to fill out forms for the government. And even if I was in a country for a couple of weeks, I still attempted to learn the language so that I could communicate. I think of it as respect.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Because we have a VERY large Spanish speaking population. It would be ignorant of us as a state to have people signing government forms they didn't fully understand. It would also be inhumane.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Because the majority of the population in the States are English and Spanish speakers. Even tho they do offer other languages, but mainly it's those 2 because of the two biggest groups.
    blank1104

Answer by blank1104 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Great answer, pp-

Yo iba a decir que es porque hay mucha gente que habla español y por que le importa?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Why do you ask stupid questions? Oh yeah to start a fight.

Anonymous

• I agree, we have a huge spanish speaking population. What gets me however is that my daughter was in a head start center in a mostly hispanic neighborhood in Texas and the forms they sent were usually always in spanish. I had to ask for an english form. Now I think that is crazy, it is still America.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Simple, so the illegals can apply for all the government handouts they are "entitled" to.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Spanish speaking people make a big portion of this country.

Answer by older at 12:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• But this is not a spanish speaking country. This is America, where we speak English. Whenever I have traveled to a foreign country, I learned at least SOME of their language. I call it respect for their culture to know a little of their language, enough to go to a hotel, restaurant, a store, and get by. If they want to live here, they should at least try to learn our language. It is just that simple.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• 29 but many people ARE spanish speaking in this country. Simple fact. What do you expect Spanish speakers to do while they learn? Sign papers they don't understand? You said you travelled to countries but that is not the same as living and residing in a country. You probably didn't have to fill out government and legal forms. How would you feel if you had to fill out a Chinese form and you know 10 words on it?
    Anonymous