BABY CEREAL OR "NO" BABY CEREAL?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not sure what your question is but i fed my son gerber cereal, still do and he's 14mo. I mixed it with formula and now milk. And usually mix it with some kind of fruit.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I didn't give baby cereal to my first child. Nurses told me not to and I honestly don't remember why! But I give my baby cereal now! He likes it and I use it to thicken up his baby food so that it doesn't get all over his clothes and his face. :)
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• its up to you, my son had cereal in his bottle at 2 months, daughter had it at 6 weeks because of reflux. It's more for children learning textures, and it's a filler. No real nutritional value
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I've been told by some moms and other people not to give my bay cereal... i'd like to know who and who doesnt give their baby cereal and why?
    Anonymous

• Honestly it's nothing but pure choice for the mom. Age of recomendation for feeding a child anything but formula or BM is anywhere from 4-6 months. It's a choice. Some choose to, some choose not to. Either way a baby isnt' going to suffer for either choice in the majority of cases
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My son loved the stuff. It has the digestive qualities of fruit and whether added or not, it has vitamins and minerals. And it is a grain..we need grains. So, I say try it. As long as your baby is old enough.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I started all my kids on cereal before we started other solids. It has iron in it, and all 4 of my kids have had low iron levels (anemia runs in my family) so my ped always recommended we continue it until a year - I breastfed so they weren't getting large amounts of iron from any other source. I started cereal with them at 4 months - none of them really like the rice, but loved the oatmeal!

Answer by missanc at 12:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I skipped it. I think it's gross. We started with zucchini around 8 mos, but even then, he only ate a few spoonfuls every few days until 11 months, when he became very interested in food and ate at least once a day.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• No. Babies never need it. It's highly processed, has many chemical additives, and is over priced.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I don't, because I don't feel it has nutritional value besides the iron. For formula fed babies, they get their iron from the formula. Mine are breastfed, and I take iron supplements while pregnant and while nursing. I have my children's iron checked early at 9 months, and so far they've both been in a good place. For first foods, we give mashed bananas, mushy fruits and vegetables, etc.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2010