Do you want the "No Cuss Week" Legislation to be in effect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The resolution includes no enforcement mechanism

Then what is the point? It wouldn't fly anyway because of the first amendment. It's just a waste of tax payer money. Something California is sorely short on. If those were my representatives I would be throwing a cussing fit outside their office doors to let them know how mad I was that THIS is what they are working on.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• What's that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• From Fox News:

Californians had better start watching their mouths.

The state Assembly passed a resolution Thursday that would establish the first week of March as "Cuss Free Week" throughout the state. If approved by the Senate next week, the measure would take effect immediately.

The resolution includes no enforcement mechanism and is simply meant to promote greater harmony and connectedness, said Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, a Democrat from La Canada Flintridge and co-author of the measure.

"I've always wondered why we behave differently when grandma is watching than when we're on our own," said Portantino, who owned up to his share of four-letter words.
    Anonymous

• Portantino said the California Legislature -- known for imposing strict clean air and clean water laws -- is the first state legislative body in the nation to consider a statewide profanity-free week.

The resolution was inspired by a South Pasadena teenager, McKay Hatch, who started a No Cussing Club at his junior high school in 2007. Similar clubs have since cropped up in every state and 20 countries.

Hatch, who traveled to Sacramento with his family to support the resolution, said he sees a link between foul-mouthed incivility and other forms of problem behavior, such as drug use and bullying.

Next up for the 16-year-old? Promoting no-cussing measures in other states and internationally.

"Next year I want to do a world tour," he said. "Cussing is a hard habit to break, but anyone can do it."
    Anonymous

• Um, I could really care less.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• A no cuss forever would be nice.

I don't understand why people can't keep from swearing while at the grocery store or Target when they are right by kids. I don't want to hear it and I really don't want my grandson to hear it. It's not just young men, it's moms with their own kids! Moms swearing at their kids! I've never done that in my life. They care so little about how they treat their kids they will swear at them in Target.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Well, I think it's kindof stupid. I mean, do I think everyone should go around cussing all the time whenever and wherever they choose? No. But the whole thing just seems silly. People should watch their mouths in general and there shouldn't have to be any legislation involved! lol! I'm not saying people who cuss are bad. I cuss. Just not around my kids or really loudly in the middle of wal-mart, etc.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I think there are a lot of other things that should be stopped besides cussing, it is nice but how bout stopping the muder, crime, rapes ect. All of this boils down to a moral issue, what is in you will come out of you. Lesislation will not stop cussing or cause people to live morally. Morals are diffrent for everybody.
    Anonymous

• I don't need a nanny anymore. I am all grown up now. If I choose to use a certain word, that is MY CHOICE! I do not want any kind of legislation telling what I can say, when I can say it, and where I can say it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Youre right anon 12:18. I really couldnt care less about the cursing... How about we pay attention to the more important issues at hand??
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2010