Are the Wilton cake decorating classes at Hobby Lobby worth it?

I ama beginning-ish cake decorator :) and I have made a fondant cake with fondant flowers, have pretty much self taught myself a bunch of borders, and have found youtube a great resourse. BUt I am trying to build my portfolio... would it be worth it?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It was fun. I'm not sure about building a portfolio. I think you could teach yourself to do the same things yourself if you buy the book they use for the class. The biggest thing is the Wilton rose.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I took the classes years ago and built a business on what I'd learned, but when I took the classes I didn't know anything about cake decorating yet, so I'm not sure they'd be much help to you. Do they have different class levels available (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? If they do, maybe you could take the intermediate or advanced courses and skip the beginner's class completely?
    Anonymous

• I think I might just skip right up to the"advanced" class... Course 3... just because I think it would be good to know tips and tricks on tiered fondant cakes and such :) However, I have a bunch of cakes to make the next few months so I think if I still want to do it I might do it this summer when I don't have 3wt94308673084 cakes to make! (family birthdays, friends bridal shower, etc).
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I took all 3 levels of cakes from Wilton and loved them. I knew the basics but these really helped with a lot of different types of flowers. It wasn't at Hobby Lobby because we don't have one but an independent dealer.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2010