Do you have any favorite websites for budget meals/recipes?

I am trying to meal plan (I have never done this!) on a budget..I would prefer them to be easy recipes as well......

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 12:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• www.hillbillyhousewife.com has menu plans all made up for you, along with recipes.

I use my blog, Rhonda's Homestyle Recipes, to keep the majority of my meals & recipes handy for anyone to use. 

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I was going to say Hillbilly Housewife too lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• oh, and on www.allrecipes.com you can find a section for budget meals too. I really like that site also.

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• 5dollardinners.com is the only one I use.
    Anonymous

• Here are my best tips for saving money on groceries: Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit; overnight French Toast

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly (and you don't have to go to a blog to get them); send me a message offlist if you would like some.