how old is too old to be rocking your little one to sleep?

my daughter is 8mths and have never went to sleep without me rocking her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never! When they won't let you any more. Have you read the book Love You Forever.

My grandson is 17 months and I take care of him several days a week. For his naps I hold him on my lap and we watch music videos on the computer until he falls asleep. I hold him for his whole nap.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• When they no longer fit in your arms comfortably...LOL That's when I stop.
    Anonymous

• Never, mine is 4 and if she needed it I would.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I never rocked mine to sleep, because I didn't want them to be dependent on it. Now my youngest is 15 months old and occasionally he will fall asleep during our "snuggle time" right before nap, but he doesn't need it to go to sleep so other days I can just put him in his crib and he will go to sleep on his own.
    It's up to you how long you decide to do it, but I can't imagine you will be able to break her of the rocking without some crying, so until you are willing to be consistent and let her cry a little rock on! (That sounds a little flip, and I don't mean it to. I'm not bashing your decision to rock, you're the mom!)

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i never used to rock my lil one either until she got sick the 1st time,now she is almost 2 and i lay next to her and rock her that way.just seems to help her fall asleep better.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY AGREE WITH MISSANC's RESPONSE!!!
    Anonymous

• i never rock my daughter to sleep she just fall asleep in my hand when she was baby. it ..
    she either fall asleep in the playpen or in her crib or bouncer..
    and i didn't have to have rocking chair either.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• An 8 month old is a baby. You're allowed to treat a baby like a baby. It's okay. Yes, it may be a hard habit to break, but you will be able to in a gentle way. When she is no longer a baby, you can talk her through it. You can put her in her big girl bed and hold her hand until she falls asleep or something else that will work for you.

Sorry, but I don't understand the concept of not wanting the baby to become dependant on you. They ARE dependant on you! They're babies. Why is it that from the moment babies leave the womb, we want them to be adults? I understand that moms that suscribe to that want what's best for their children, but I think they are seriously misguided. They are allowed to act like babies when they are babies and you are allowed to baby them. Independence is a long road. It does not begin on the day you're born. It begins with feeling secure in your environment and relationships.
    Anonymous

• I nursed and/or rocked my kids to sleep as long as they needed it and I wanted to. Babies are totally dependent on their parents. What is it about our society that says it is okay for baby to be dependent on you for food/clothing/diaper changes etc. bu not to go to sleep. This is so twisted to me! There is no "forming bad habits that will be hard to break". That is nonsense! It is like saying if you keep giving them a bottle they will never learn to eat with a spoon. If you keep changing their diaper they will ever learn to use the potty. I have NO problem with my babies being "dependent" on me for sleep and during the night, just like they are dependent on me for their needs during the day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I'll rock my DD to sleep for as long as she wants me too. She's my child and as her mother I'll tend to whatever need she has.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2010