My 11 week old son hates tummy time...any suggestion on how i can change this pattern? I've treid almost everything...

brooklyns1mama

Asked by brooklyns1mama at 12:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine still hates tummy time and she is 10 months old. It all works out, don't sweat it too much! Just keep trying it with him...They figure it out and crawl just fine without the rec. amount of tummy time..
    GL!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I made tummy time fun. I rarely just layed her on her stomach to fend for herself, lol. Her favorite activity was when I layed on my back with my legs bent like I was doing crunches. I layed her on my legs and moved them forwards and backwards....she loved it! It's like an amusement park ride for them...and it helps you get in shape too.
    I also bought an activity mat at a consignment shop. She loved that because it was colorful and had crinkly paper.
    Just get creative and assume your baby won't like tummy time if she's just lying on her tummy bored.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Tummy time was invented after the Back to Sleep campaign. Babies were spending most of their time laying on their backs or in seats or in other containers and it was affecting development. So along comes 'tummy time'.

Instead you can wear your baby in a sling or carrier, hold your baby on your lap, play with your baby, and do other things that keep your baby off it's back. The baby doesn't have to be on it's tummy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My son did better when I did tummy time with a boppy pillow. That way he was propped up a little better and as his muscles got stronger he enjoyed tummy time without the pillow.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 1:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I never did "tummy time" at that age. I just made sure that I held them and wore them in a sling a lot so that they could develop their upper body. I'd have them on their tummy to sleep on my chest as well. The important thing is that they have plenty of time when they are NOT laying on their back or in a seat (like a bouncy seat, swing, car seat etc.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I always had my DD on my chest for tummy time. If I put her down on her stomach she would scream. She's almost 5 months now and I can put her down on her stomach and she will try crawling to the toys I put around her. If she gets tired of it, she can just roll over. Try him on your chest.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Try carrying baby close in a “football hold” and soothing baby tummy down on your lap instead of propped on your shoulder to get him used to this position. Make sure when you offer TT that you’re down there with him on the floor. Use a bright colored ball or baby-proof mirror to stimulate interest. Pathways Awareness has developed tips to make TT easier for you: http://bit.ly/8IhuuF along with a developmental calendar with activities to foster your LO’s growth: http://bit.ly/5lGkTm.
    PathwaysMom

Answer by PathwaysMom at 12:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2010