Did your baby have a reaction to the chicken pox vaccine?

My 20 month old DD has redness and swelling at the injection site and a few bumps on her face. She didn't get it until 3 weeks later, so I wasn't sure what it was. Is this a common thing? I already took her to the doc who said it was a reaction but I just want to make sure she wasn't just jumping on an easy out. Is 3 weeks the normal incubation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd had recurrent chickenpox 3 times over 7 weeks from the vax. take her to the ped and document the reaction. it IS possible to contract the virus which you are vaccinating against. Sounds like you should also go get some oatmeal bath.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yes. We got his at 15months and he had a sever reaction. He went red all over and had difficulty breathing. Thankfully my Dh is a paramedic and he was home. It took two and half breathing treatments to get his breathing back to normal. Oh and he vomited three times.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• the chicken pox vaccination is injecting your child WITH the disease in the hope that their bodies would fight the disease and build immunities. So yes, your child probably caugth CP from the vaccination.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My child didn't have the varicella vaccine... so i'm no help :)
    Anonymous