When asked to bring a dish for a social event (office party ect.) Do you usually cook or buy something from the store?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I definitely cook.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I like to cook, and have some favorite potluck/party recipes. So I usually cook unless it is one of those things where I have absolutely no time that day/the day before.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It depends. Some people prefer ans ask that you buy it (for whatever reason!), but I'd rather make it myself.
    Anonymous

• I usually cook, but if I can't I go to this gourmet market and get a shrimp cocktail platter or a fruit platter. Some fancier restaurants will make one for you if you don't have that type of market. Or if you have a Costco you can buy shrimp from them and cook it...its so easy,cheap, and costco has good shrimp.

Anonymous

• If it's for work and people i don't really care about I buy something. No sense slaving away for people I dont like. But if like them than yeah I'll bake something.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It depends but, generally I'm the person running to sign up for cups, napkins, utensils, plates, soda when it's a work thing. With people I like, I'll cook, or do a nice fresh fruit and cheese & cracker spread.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Most of the time, I cook. If i don't cook, it's a really nice cheese and cracker tray with assorted meats like Spanish jamon or Italian proscuitto, cured chorizo, salami, pastrami, etc. Or a nice fruit tray with apples, oranges, melons, grapes, and berries.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I cook or bake something. I at least make a salad or pasta salad in a pinch. I guess there is really nothing wrong with buying something. It just goes against my sensibilities to contribute a bought dish. Maybe that's because I like to cook, maybe it's because of my upbringing, not sure.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I usually volunteer the dessert item and make it myself.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Cook. I don't buy ready-made stuff, especially not for an occasion like that.
    Anonymous