Is there a good way to increase milk production?

My son is only 18 days old and my milk is already slowing significantly. I really want to keep nursing him but there isnt enough for him right now so I have to suppliment with formula. is there anyway to increase my milk production?

Kaivarii

Asked by Kaivarii at 1:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep him on the breast, he's probably getting more than enough from you. you just can't see how much he's getting so you never feel like it's enough. keep him on the breast and everytime he wants more let him nurse for awhile. suckling increases supply, your supply probably went up a lot right after you had him from being engorged and now your body is past that. your breasts should continue making enough for him, just don't pump when he's there to be nursed. good luck.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Breastfeed more and give no bottles of formula. Giving bottles will decrease your supply. You want your baby to hang out at the breast and be suckling pretty much all the time so the brain sends the message to the breasts to make more milk. If you give bottles your baby is going to fall asleep and not nurse for a long time. Then when the baby nurses it will be less well. And on top of that the baby can start sucking wrong. That can make you have sore nipples.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• What makes you think you don't have enough milk?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• drink a lot of water and milk take naps.
    just feed baby as offen as much as you can.
    take a naps when your baby is taking nap

It alright if you formula feed the baby too.. do both.

I did the formula feed at night time but if the baby is still hungry give him little formula after breastfeed.
    I say don give up breast feeding..

drink a lot of water and milk and eat health

mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• What makes you feel like it is not enough? Does he have 6-8 wet diapers a day? Is he nursing often? Some women feel after the engorgement process they no longer have enough milk. That is no true, your body is just regulation it's production. Offer the breast often.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• i was thinking i dont have enough because before when I would pump between feedings. The flow was so heavy that Id fill a bottle and a half in no time, now when I try it, I barely get the bottom of the bottle covered in a half hour
    Kaivarii

Answer by Kaivarii at 1:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Yeah, I couldn't pump more than a few ounces total out of each breast. Ethan was so much better than I was at getting milk LOL.. Don't let that make you think you are not making enough. BABY is soo much better than a pump. As long as he is gaining weight, having 6-8 wet diapers a day... He is good.. Before your milk regulated, you had an over supply hints the engorgement.. Now your body is regulation to what the baby needs it may be harder to pump more. If you are not returning to work etc.. there is really no need to store milk just yet..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Just nurse on demand and stop the formula. I thought I had supply problems but I was creating them... by supplementing. It's a vicious cycle. It's hard not feeling as though your child is getting enough. But he will. Unless you are giving a significant amount of formula already, then I would cut out a little at a time but ALWAYS nurse first. Just let your little baby stay on the breast as long as he wants, as much as he wants.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• In the beginning, you have an excess of milk. This is probably the time that your body has regulated. Your body has figured out how much your baby needs, and makes just a little bit more then what is needed. My advice? Drop the supplements, nurse on demand, and as long as you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, your supply is fine. And unless you need to be apart from baby, don't worry about pumping.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• How much milk you can pump is a very poor indication of milk supply! If you are breastfeeding exclusively then you are not supposed to have extra milk to pump out! Giving formula will make your supply go down for sure. Stop giving the formula and just breastfeed more frequently. As long as baby is having at least 5-6 wet diapers and a few poopy diapers every day then she is getting enough.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2010