hen should you start trying to potty train your baby/toddler ? And how whats the best way?

shedevil121208

Asked by shedevil121208 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have trained two very, very different girls. My first showed few, if any, of the "readiness" signs people say to look for (waking up dry, able to pull down her own pants, staying dry for 2 hours at a time, telling me she was filling her diaper") when we started training her at 19 months. She trained in about 10 days (but on the 4th day we were out of the house without diapers -- after 10 days she was initiating the bathroom trip herself with decent reliability). We moved straight to underwear and stayed home, moved her to the potty when she started having an accident, and she figured it out. My second daughter, on the other hand, started showing more "readiness" signs by about 16 months, so we just started then. We started more gradually because I didn't think there was any way she could really be ready, but she's only 17 months and is in underwear with very few accidents whenever we're home. (cont'd)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Here are a couple of interesting articles, blogs, journals on earlier training:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-dirksen/who-decides-when-to-potty_b_265227.html
    http://blog.cleveland.com/classychaos/2009/02/politics_of_potty_training.html#comments
    Here's the method we loosely followed:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• just depends on when your ready and your child is ready, but I started introducing the idea of potty training when my son was 18 months, nothing intense, just sitting him on the potty every once in awhile so that he kinda got the idea of it. When he was about 2 1/2 we started buckling down with the potting training and he was completely potty trained before his 3rd birthday. You might have to figure out a few tricks to get them interested. We first tried a sticker board and when he got so many stickers he got a big prize but he was not too interested in that. Then we gave him a sucker for everytime he would go potty and that worked pretty well if he only needed to go pee but getting him to poop was another story. So we went to the dolor store and picked out a few toys. The first few we let him see and the other ones were wrapped so they would be surprises. When he went into the potty he got to pick one, it worked like a charm!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• thanks guys thats a big help!!!!!
    shedevil121208

Answer by shedevil121208 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010