What constitutes a verbally abusive relationship?

I was just wondering what exactly constitutes a verbally abusive relationship? I already know that I cannnot talk to my husband. He throws a fit for everything that doesn't go his way. But then he starts talking badly about my parents. How my brother doesn't want to be around us. How my dad can't stand my mom. How we are all nothings in this world. He blames every fight we have on me even though he started it and I just stood there until I could no longer take it. I feel like I'm a pot ready to boil over. I embarrassed because I don't want my daughter to grow up looking at her mom being a pushover for a some @ss who has no idea how to treat a woman. I think even as a two year old she already see's it. I'm asking a question I already know the answer to don't I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• If you wonder then it is.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I would consider what you described verbally abusive and its even worse if your daughter hears it because she'll think its okay to be talked to like that when she (if shes not already) is dating. Plus it may make her lose respect for you.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 1:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I just read the end of your question and now see your daughter is only 2 so that will start effecting her if shes around it enough.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 1:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• (((hugs))) honey you and he need help
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Call it childish but when my ex did those things to me. I talked right back about his sorry family and his bit-- -- of a moma too. (He called her one first.) But then again I was not a push over. I let him know he was not going to push me around and he was not going to break me. I let my first husband push me around and I swore to myself never again. If your do not have the nerve to do what I did , then yes get out and please please never do it in front of your child.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• She's learning that it's normal to be treated abusively so she will find a man to treat her the way she saw dad treating you. Just google verbal abuse/emotional abuse if you want specifics but yes, he's disrespecting and abusing you. Is that what you deserve? I don't think so? Children learn what they live. Is that what you want for her to think is the right way to be treated and live? I doubt that. Tell him to stop.
    Anonymous

• I would say that his behavior is abusive.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Verbal abuse is just as bad as physical - and the scars take longer to heal a lot of times. This is why I ended my marriage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I am with my2kids312, I am not a push over and if he talks to me like that he better be ready to take it right back. My dad is the one who taught me not to take crap from anyone.
    dddd2776

Answer by dddd2776 at 3:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2010