Does it annoy you when??

Does it annoy you if your talking to somebody on the phone about a serious situation and all they say "Yeah, ummhummm, Yep" those kinds of things??? I was talking to my mother on the phone earlier and 99% of the time that's all she says over the phone. We live an hour & half apart, sometimes I call to get advice but thats all I get. I just feel like it's hard to communicate with somebody like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Are you asking her for advice? Or are you just venting to her? My Mom used to do that to me...till I told her and I started calling her "uhum"! Now she gets it! But sometimes you need to say "Mom, what do you think"?
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Usually they do not know what to say.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• When moms give their advice adult children can get upset. We find often it is best to keep our advice to ourselves and let adult children figure things out on their own. I have 3 adult children. I never give advice to the oldest. I only give advice to the middle one about things that are really important and concern my grandson.

The youngest loves my advice! He is 21 has a good job (I got him to apply for), is going to college (I helped him get into and get financial aid), and owns a home with a pool (I found the house, down payment assistance, and helped with all the trials of buying the house). He doesn't understand why his brothers don't ask my advice.

If you want her advice tell her that, "I want your advice." Then don't get upset when she gives it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• It annoys me when someone rambles on and on and never gives me anything to respond to. I had a friend like that who just would go on and on and never give me anything to respond to so I would usually fall asleep. Maybe you should try to engage the person in your conversation more instead of just talking their ear off. Ask them what they think or something.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I have asked my mom for her advice and shes like "I don't know what to tell you", "Just pray about it, or we'll pray about it". For the most part its just 1 word answers. Even when I was a Teenager she was never there for me, I always had to talk to my Aunt.
    Anonymous