We don't like each other's names!

Its a boy and we are willing to compromise on names, but our tastes are different enough that he likes zero of my favorite and while I don't hate his, I don't want those to be my baby's name. He likes uber masculine names (jake) and I like names that are masculine but also have some softer sounds in them (evan). the only one we both like has gone sour with us because I have a cousin with that name (nathan). And I've tried to get help in groups, but they just keep making other suggestions! I KNOW what other names are out there! I don't like them or he doesn't! I just need help knowing where to go from here. I don't see the point in searching over again. I have my top three and he does too. they don't match and now we're stuck. I can't be the only one in the boat, what would you do? ps- we're not having any more so there's no taking turns.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you're not willing to consider other names, then dig in for a big fight. Obviously, you need another name.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I'm willing to consider other names, but when I do, he doesn't like them and vice versa. We're actually not fighting at all, its just a really hard situation. we want each other to be happy, but we also want to like the names ourselves. we may obviously need another name but I know its not impossible to imagine a situation where our tastes are different enough to where we're at a place that nothing works.
    Anonymous

• I name the girls, my husband names the boys. Since I have 3 girls that I named I'm letting him name the boy I'm preg. with, even though I don't like the name he picked, I'm going with it anyway.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 1:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• "we're not having anymore" just have to laugh. do you now how many moms have said those words? never say never about anything.

There's nothing wrong with Evan Nathan. That's your name first and father's name liking second and with Nathan as a middle name and cousin Nathan as a first name, there's definitely a difference between the two cousins names.

You husband can call him Evan Nathan and encourage others too also to honor his name choice and you can do that or call baby Evan.

I call my son by his first and middle names alot even when I'm not mad, just cause I like my son's names.

Oh you should be covered and choose girls names too. Birth is the one hundred percent way to guarantee knowledge of sex of baby.
    Anonymous

• We always had this same trouble with boy names. He didn't like any of my favorite picks, and I didn't like any of his. I mean, Rocky? Really? LOL

We came up with a short list of a few names that we were both ok with, and then just waited until the baby was born to see which name out of those suited him.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• if you both really don't like any of the same names, i guess you will just have to draw from a hat? my husband and i have a similar problem. it's worse with boy names because i like so few boy names. the couple that i do like, my husband doesn't like. and i didn't like any of his suggestions. i suggested one i sort of like ok, don't hate, don't love, and that's our choice for now. it's vincent :) for girls, my husband hates most of my choices and hasn't come up with any of his own but he is able to agree to some of the ones i like, just none of my faves. so neither of us are getting our *favorite* name but at least we have found1 boy name and a few girl names we can at least live with. lol. gl!!! i know it's tough!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Don't limit yourselves to 3 names each. Maybe try listing 10 names each, trade lists and mark out the 5 you like least. Try to give the remaining names a try.

I had the same problem with my husband. I really wanted to name our son Aaron. We ended up with Daniel instead. My husband said the name had to at least have a "manly" nickname, and apparently Dan is a manly name in his book. We didn't settle on his name until the day after he was born either. Naming boys is hard!

Anonymous

• I think yall should compromise maybe use his top pick as the first name and yours as the middle or vice versa. And You can call him by your name and he can call him by his name. You have to make a compromise.
    marandawaldrop

Answer by marandawaldrop at 7:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2010