Why do mom's use the reasoning "I think it tastes gross" to not feed their baby some foods?

I HATE oatmeal, but, I fed it to my son. I HATE sweet potatoes, but, I fed it to my son. I understand not feeding cereal and jar baby food for nutrition and additive reasons, but, I can't fathom the "I think it tastes gross" reason. What if I thought all veggies were "gross"? Does that mean I should not give them to my baby?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 2:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't make cauliflower for my kids because I think it's gross. Their dad makes it for them, so I know they are exposed to it, and my 10 year old even likes it - it's just the one food I can't do, and I don't think not cooking one food for them is going to completely ruin them for life. They can get their nutrition from the other veggies I do cook.
    There are some foods that I don't especially like that I make for my kids, or give to my little one (like avocado - yuck!, but he loves it). I can't see not cooking any veggies for them, but if it's one or two things, I think it's fine to avoid those things that just really make you sick!

Answer by missanc at 2:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Maybe they think that because they don't like it, their kids won't either? I dunno, I haven't met anyone that does that lol.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• maybe only because its hard to buy or to even think of to buy when you don't like something? I don't really know. I have been trying new fresh foods WITH my son that I never ate before so we can all eat healthy together and he learns from the begining to eat better than his mom
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Ugh I hate that I went out to eat with a friend and her daughter and I was eating mushrooms. My friend said, "Eww, look what she's eating!" Who knows if her daughter would like them, but obviously after hearing her mother say that she wouldn't try any. I can see not going out of your way to cook something you don't like but as far as purposely keeping them from trying new things....that's messed up.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 2:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I do that for very few things. For the most part, the kids try all the foods and if THEY don't like it, we'll find something else.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I thought you were talking about baby food in the jars and stuff. I don't know why people do stuff like that, I expose my son to as many foods as possible, I don't eat fish but his father does so I'll cook it for the two of them and okra is just not even on my radar but that didn't stop me from serving it to my husand and child. Kids have their own unique sense of taste and they need to develope it on their own.
    Anonymous

• I was talking about the jarred food, but, I have seen that in other foods as well. I hate when people do that. I let my son try it all, whther I like it or not.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• My MIL did that with her kids- if she didn't like it, she assumed they wouldn't- now I have a picky eater for a husband. If DD has something I am not fond of, I try it too just so she sees me eating it. At this point, she ONLY eats what I do because she sees me do it, so I suck it up and do it. A few weeks ago we all tried asparagus.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Haha..good job. I do that too. sometimes, I wish I didn't. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2010