At what age is it ok to let your baby cry themselfs to sleep

My 3 1/2 month old always wants to fall asleep on the breast as soon as I put him down. He wakes up and I have to start all over. What point is it good to teach him to put himself asleep and cry it out? I almost feel he is to young

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 2:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not at 3-1/2 month.. Too young! After 6 months its ok.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• I didn't do it until my daughter was over a year old
    Anonymous

• not ntil after 2.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 2:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• After 6 months is what I've always went by. But even at almost 13 months I find it hard to let my daughter cry it out,lol. I'm a sucker and so it daddy,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• He's too young. I have never had a problem nursing mine to sleep, but when mine give it up, I rock them to sleep. It is a very small time investment. I go to them when they night wake (at 31/2 months, he probably needs to eat anyway) and if they're not needing to eat, I rub their back. Mine sleep through the night around 9 months, and only wake once or so before that. At 3 1/2 months, mine at at least 2 times a night. I think there are other ways to teach children to sleep than to let them cry. Crying isn't soothing. I soothe mine in their bed after they don't need to eat, but I always help them. Mine are great sleepers.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2010

• Way too young right now. Nurse him to sleep like you have been but wait another 10 minutes before putting him down to make sure he has moved into a deeper stage of sleep. Learn to nurse lying down with him so that you can sleep at the same time. I nursed all my kids to sleep until they were at least a year old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2010